OMG we have a pip, NOW WHAT!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3GChicks, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 3GChicks

3GChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    Ok so this is my first having eggs in an incubator and I just checked on one of them and there is a pip in one of the eggs! What do I do now, when do I take it out of the incubator, OMG I am freaking out! [​IMG]

2. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Leave it in there! The chick can take hours to hatch.... Good luck to you!

3. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
  4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    sit on your hands, do NOT open that incubator until all eggs have hatched. Babies can stay in for up to 3 days before being taken out.
    I was in your shoes last Thurs too. I spent most of the day & the following day staring thru the window of the bator, hoping to catch them as they hatched out. Out of 11 babies, I saw 3 hatch on their own, I had to help the final baby hatch as it got shrink wrapped. I didnt take it out of the bator till day 23 (it started to hatch on day 22)
    How many eggs do you have & what kind of chicks?

5. 3GChicks

Jan 19, 2012
    We have 8 eggs, cochin/frizzle, silkies, speckled sussex and polish. Today is day 21. My husband put the darn incubator on top of a shelf and I have to stand on a chair to see it!

I am so worried that we are going to have to help some hatch and I really do not want to do that!

6. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Congrats!!!!!!!! I wish I could hatch eggs again!!! :)

7. 3GChicks

Jan 19, 2012
    OMG this is driving me nuts, we saw one pip at around 2 this afternoon and I do not think that there has been anything since. I am starting to freak out! This egg hatching is not for patient people.

8. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Definatly not!!!!! Have any hatched yet?

9. 3GChicks

Jan 19, 2012
    We had the first egg hatch around 12:30 this morning, and the second around 2:30. Three more eggs have pips and as I type this one is in the process of unzippering, this is so awesome to watch!

10. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    If you can't sit and watch 24 hrs I would suggest getting a camcorder so that if you miss it yourself you can watch the video. :)
    From what I read, you just have to sit back and watch. Unless one needs help hatching. but from what I read it's after a 24 hr period. (i'm not sure whether I am right or not)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by