OMG we just killed a 'possum in the run ahhhh!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jnjross, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    we were watching the news, dh kept hearing something stange outside (windows were open), though it was nothing, the cats maybe, so weather said it was going to get down to 40 so i step out the back door to "plug the chickens in" (heat lamp) and the light came on and a possum ran out!!! dh shot it, and i went in to count my babies and the coop was empty,,, we just cut a ramp door for winter today they didn't figure it out and were piled against the people door all 17 safe. I had to carry each one in they refused to walk! wow seconds from tragedy

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Wow, that was fortunate! Glad to hear the little ones are all safe. Poor little things must still be scared.

Good shot with the gun for sure.

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Glad to hear you got to them before the possum! Now critter-proof that run asap. Look in the coop/run design section for the best way to do that. (run wire out 2ft or bury it, electrify perimeter, etc) Good luck!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am so glad all your chickens are safe!!! Possums are ugly SOB's aren't they??

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i was amazed at how they pile , big roo and momma on the outside then little roos then under them little pullets ,. how smart they are and dumb all at the same time they went through that new door a dozen time today [​IMG]

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    At least you got him!

We had one who killed our rooster. My husband immediately caught him, beat him with a 2x4 and then shot him 3 times. He was pretty ticked!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Yep and they are even nastier if they got babies too! Try stabbing or killing one with a three prong pitchfork......[​IMG] Nasty, nasty, ugly things!

Glad all of your babies are doing fine.

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Wheww! Big sigh of relief. That was a scary, just-in-the-nick-of-time story.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Way to stay vigilant, good job. if you own chickens you had better own a scatter gun.

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* The one I had to kill was the prettiest possum I had ever seen. Really!! I felt bad, but it wouldn't let go of my chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by