OMG what am i dealing with? FINAL UPDATE # 104**graphic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dar, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    PLEASE NOTE:

If you are going to tell me to call my vet or if you are going to say something that is NOT helpful or encouraging then leave now... I will not tolerate the Call a vet, take it to a Vet comments any longer... I will say this for the last time my vet wont look at her he is not a poultry vet. We do have a poultry vet here in town but his prices are out of this world.

this is my EE i got a few weeks ago she spent 30 days in quarantine then went to the big coop. her previous owner said she was being picked on before so keep an eye on her... it was never THIS bad i never noticed scabs before today but she has been in the big coop for about 2 weeks and to hard to catch every day.

this is what i found today

these pics were taken during her bath, there is a white mass of feathers that fell out, the smell is putrid smells like decomp .. she is on antibiotics in her water ans i smothered her in polysporin after her bath

i wore gloves during the bath because i have no clue what i am dealing with, parasite or a badly case of infected pecking

sorry for typos and no caps but i am typin with 1 hand and holding her against me in a towel with the other

forgot to add... pre bath the beige spots were hard as soon as the warm water touched it, it softened up and thats when the clump of feathers fell out. i think the beige clumps may be dried pockets of infection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh gosh, Dar..
    I have no clue as usual...
    Heres a bump up though... [​IMG]

maybe fungal?? the smell has me worried though... [​IMG]

I would also try to keep her dry (blow dry her?) see if it dries that up after a few days time??
    I'd also keep her away from the others for now just to be safe... but i'm sure you know that already... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I can't help you with this. Lets bump this, and see if we can get some help for you and your girl. [​IMG]

4. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    i think the smell is the infection and the rotting flesh.. the smell is better now post bath

i had the blowdryer on low and she lost her mind so for now i have her bundled in a towel on my chest for warmth and i change the towel so she is not sitting in a cold towel

5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
  6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    poor thing [​IMG]

7. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    there is nothing around her vent or on her "tummy" its all on her back, neck, and under her wings.

My first thought was mites as well but when i checked her vent its as pink as can be with no scabbing or little dots... she is the only one affected and i got her and 7 others at the same time

maybe what i will do is a test area.. I have some cream to treat scaly leg mites with 5% permethrin. maybe tomorrow i will put under one wing and to a test to see if that side clears up

if it is mites.. can they be transmitted to humans? or other pets? i had gloves on during her bath but she was wrapped in a towel sitting on me for a bit while she was drying [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  8. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    OMG! That poor baby! I hope you get her figured out!

9. nnbreeder

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Mites and lice are species specific. Yes they can get on you but no they can not live or reproduce on you. They will drop off and look for another bird to get on to.

I have had cases of just one bird getting parasites while the others had little or no parasites on them. I don't know why they would just target one or two birds in a flock but it does happen.

10. nnbreeder

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The vent and under the wings are the most likely places for the heaviest infestations but there are very few times I have found when it was exactly as an article or book said it would be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by