OMG, what have I done?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CartierChicken, Jun 21, 2011.

1. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My new rooster, Chuck Noris, is not working out for me. I don't know how to explain it, but the chemistry is not there. I don't like his attitude toward me. Then I came upon some Yocohama chickens, 1 rooster and 2 hens. I really want to breed this bird. They are so lovely and so docile. My husband picked them up for me yesterday. When they arrived, even after that long car ride, they were happy to be pet and handled. I was in love. Because it was late, I could not take them to the coop, since all were sleeping, so I kept them in a large cage in my wash room. I made the stupid mistake of not covering the cage. The sun is up before 3:30 in the morning, here in Sweden:rolleyes: So I was awoken at this time, by the most horrific sound. Chuck Noris crows like someone is squeezing the life out of him, toward the end of his crow. It is so darn annoying, but in retrospect, music to my ears. The new rooster sounds like a horrific scream or yelp made by a human child, possibly being mangled or burned:confused:

What have I done:th

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Just remember, he'll be outside. [​IMG]

3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Hmm...perhaps singing lessons? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    if the sunrises at 3:30 am what time does it set??? [​IMG] shoot if you worked a 9-5 job half the day would be over berfore you even went to work...[​IMG]

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    You name a rooster Chuck Norris and you have branded him! What do you expect? [​IMG]
    Maybe rename him Sweetums and he will be gentler and sound sweeter?

6. CartierChicken

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Quote:The sun goes down almost around 11pm. Further north, they call it the land of the never ending sun. Of course, in the winter it barely comes up:rolleyes:

7. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:The sun goes down almost around 11pm. Further north, they call it the land of the never ending sun. Of course, in the winter it barely comes up:rolleyes:

Wow, do you get eggs every day in the Summer and none in the Winter? That's very interesting!

8. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    One of these posts about crowing roos suggested you put the roo to bed in a short cat carrier - he actually has to stand up and stretch his neck upward to give out a crow. If he can't stand and stretch, he can't crow - until you put him outside AFTER you wake up naturally! I haven't tried it, I don't have a rooster - but it sounds like a good idea to me.

9. CartierChicken

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden

Wow, do you get eggs every day in the Summer and none in the Winter? That's very interesting!

During the winter, in the Stockholm area, we get about 6 hours of daylight. Egg production can go down, but you can use artificial light. Many of the Swedish breeds can handle less light, so it's not so much of an issue. I think I will give my girls a bread, however, for at least a month.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Not entirely true. Some can and will crow laying down, just stretch their neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by