OMG! What is this and how do i treat it? We have been eating the egga.

debster1556

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2014

I'm going to bump this. We found this in the droppings under there roost. It only seems to be 1 chicken but of course everyone will get treated. Im guessing round worms and if possible we would like to treat them by adding medication to their food or water. Am I right about roundworms?

I'm going to bump this. We found this in the droppings under there roost. It only seems to be 1 chicken but of course everyone will get treated. Im guessing round worms and if possible we would like to treat them by adding medication to their food or water. Am I right about roundworms?
Ditto, they are large roundworms. Worm all your birds with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer.

Thank you for quick reply! :) 2 more questions I'd you don't mind. There is so much info on worming, it's confusing.
What is the correct dosage on these meds and is there danger with putting it in their mouth? I mean, it's not like tube feeding a chicken right? I just don't want my chicken to choke.
Also, how long before we can eat the eggs after worming?

1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. You will need to dose them again in 10 days to break the worm egg cycle. You will also need to toss the eggs or feed back to the chickens, (boiled is what i do) for a total of 20 days from the first dose. Valbazen is a wide spectrum wormer will get round worms, tape worms etc. I use a syringe without the needle and give it to them by mouth i make sure it is past the breathing hole in back of tongue and push the plunger slowly so none comes back up. Some people put it on bread and then feed it to them, just make sure each hen gets its dose of the med and doesn't share it with the others. In about 6 months or what ever schedule you prefer worm them again, also make sure you check for mites and lice. When I worm now I also dust for them.

After the meds are done I add probiotics and or vitamins to help them recover from worms.

Thank you! I think I will try the bread trick. Hopefully it doesn't taste too bad so they will want to eat it.

Thank you for quick reply!
smile.png
2 more questions I'd you don't mind. There is so much info on worming, it's confusing.
What is the correct dosage on these meds and is there danger with putting it in their mouth? I mean, it's not like tube feeding a chicken right? I just don't want my chicken to choke.
Also, how long before we can eat the eggs after worming?
Tube feeding is actually very easy to do and much safer than syringe feeding.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

-Kathy

I'm sure you're right, to be honest, it scares me. I'm just being a weiner! :) Very informative link. Thank you!

1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. You will need to dose them again in 10 days to break the worm egg cycle. You will also need to toss the eggs or feed back to the chickens, (boiled is what i do) for a total of 20 days from the first dose. Valbazen is a wide spectrum wormer will get round worms, tape worms etc. I use a syringe without the needle and give it to them by mouth i make sure it is past the breathing hole in back of tongue and push the plunger slowly so none comes back up. Some people put it on bread and then feed it to them, just make sure each hen gets its dose of the med and doesn't share it with the others. In about 6 months or what ever schedule you prefer worm them again, also make sure you check for mites and lice. When I worm now I also dust for them.

After the meds are done I add probiotics and or vitamins to help them recover from worms.

I would toss the eggs, don't feed them back to your chickens or even your dogs. Feeding back eggs for 20 days that contain trace amounts of dewormer is a very good way to help parasites build resistance to the dewomer.

Back
Top Bottom