1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG....What is this??View with caution!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lil'turkeymama, Dec 3, 2010.

1. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    OK..I was cleaning the dogs bed tonight and found this little critter on the floor.I saw it moving with my naked eye and stuck a piece of clear tape to it and put it under the microscope.I know we have fleas.I have to do very regular bed,dog,everything cleaning to try and get ahead.I do use Frontline Plus every 3 weeks.I am hoping this is a flea larve.Because if it ain't I don't know what it is.I am always using the microscope to look at stuff but this kinda freaked me out.Oh,I should say I had it set on 4/0.1 and used my digital camera to take the picture.The thing was about 1/16 inch before the piture.I would really like to find out what this is,if you know great,if you don't please tell me where I can find out.Thanks so much.

[​IMG]

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am not sure what it is, but EW! [​IMG] I hope you get this figured out. [​IMG]

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    that is a great picture, whatever it is..

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Could it be a tape worm larva? Look at the O-shaped "mouth" it has...

5. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    All I can suggest is google search of dog parasites.

It looks so familiar. I just can't remember what it is exactly. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of worm, like a hook worm is my guest.

Was it in the dog's droppings?

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  7. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Some kinds of worms will make an exit while the animal sleeps. Definitely an intestinal parasitic worm of some kind, but I am no vet tech.

Great picture!

8. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    It looks like a strongyle worm I have seen in my horses before. [​IMG]

9. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    Thanks so much for the fast replies.I have seen adult tapeworms and the segment/rice type egg sacks they leave.Not that.I've seen adult hookworm.They have hook-type mouth parts.The goggle results I've gotten have not been any help so far.This thing fell out of her blankets when I put them in the washing machine so it was just crawling around her bedding.If I can't figure it out I'm gonna see about e-mailing the pic to my vet.Again,thanks.

10. chickenology

chickenology Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Ohio
    Looks like a flea larvae to me also. Tapeworms of dogs need an intermediate host, so you would not find the actual larvae around the dogs. Good thinking with the tape and microscope!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by