1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG what should I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rancher hicks, Dec 28, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got a BO that has gone broody. For petes sake it's Dec. and there is snow! I thought she was, so I've been moving her out of the nest 3 days in a row. Today I noticed she's plucked her stomach bald. I know that's part of broodiness but I'm not set up for a broody and chicks. I can't move her cuz there is not where to put her til she snaps out of it.
    She' s not laying and I took three eggs from her yesterday. Today she was sitting on a wooden egg. I moved her out of the nest but I just know she'll be back there when I go out later.
    Should I just keep moving her? How long do I keep doing that until one of us gives in? I'm glad she'll go broody but why now? I absolutely love chickens and I'm sure I'd have no problem getting rid of the chicks. Heck I had a friend say to me at church just last night that he has got to get him some Delawares. (Hear that speckledhen?). I have some CM eggs that I'm sure would be CM's but not so sure of the Delawares as there are other hen breeds w/ them. Roo is a Del. and got 7 Del. hens. Did I mention I absolutely love chickens? Why now and what should I do?
    It's winter I planned on resting not building a broody box. Darn, darn, darn. If roosters hatched eggs they would never do this. Darn, darn, double darn.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

Mine seem to like to go broody in the winter. They tend to be less broody in the summer. Dorks. [​IMG] I think it's because mine get cold in the winter and want to hunker down in the nice warm nest box. It's loose theory with no scientific backup, but eh, there you go.

I have never been able to break a broody, but mine are always silkies and they're incredibly stubborn. You might be able to break a BO. Have you tried ice cubes in the nest box. I understand that you just have to cool her underside to break the process. Beats me. It has never worked for me. On the plus side, my hens have always had good hatches and been fine mothering babies in the winter. And winter hatched babies start laying in the summer. Whoohoo for that! Summer hatched babies sometimes don't lay until the following year. If you have eggs to put under her, you might just let her have at it.

Good luck. To have a brain the size of a walnut, they are awfully hardheaded, aren't they? [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Good luck LOL- i keep BO's and I always break first.

5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:You got that right. I thought it would be hard to get broody hens but apparently it's easier than the books led me to believe. The first two were friz bantams, I gave them del eggs. one sat on 6 and hatched 5. It's alot less stressful than watching an incu. And besides if anything goes wrong it's not my fault. LOL.
    Your right about winter hatched chicks laying before the summer ends. I did purchase some CM chicks in the summer and they're laying nicely. It was early summer tho. They're about 6 mos.

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, COME ON!!! We all want to see pictures of more chicks. Get yourself some eggs, and let that momma hatch 'em!!

[​IMG]

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I've set aside some CM eggs and have plans to set up something. My DD's are going to be here for a few days and if I can get them to help I'll set her up w/ 6 eggs. I checked the 3 I took from her yesterday. Cooked two for my DD and one went down the toilet since I did'nt like the look of it. Last I checked she was off the nest and someone else was on it. But that happened w/ another hen she had 3 and when I moved her she had 6. Not all hers of course. She hatched them in sucession of days. I'll keep you posted.

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have 3 or 4 that are trying to go broody also! A standard Cochin and 2 or 3 Silkies. I refuse to give them any eggs and just keep taking them out of the nesting boxes. I am hoping they give up soon so they will be broody in the Spring to hatch eggs for me!

9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not sure what the deal is with her. I've seen her on the nest and taken the eggs. She's been off and doesn't show the classic, pecking at your hand, like the others I've had go broody do. So maybe she's broken her stride.

10. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    I had a silkie go broody and after a few days I broke down and gave her a batch of eggs. Well 5 days later she was off the nest and pacing up and down the cage I'd put her in and the eggs were cold and frozen. That was almost a month ago and she hasn't showed any more signs of broodiness.
    I have extra cages to put the broodys in so the other hens don't bother them, otherwise I just mark the eggs and take out the new ones daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by