OMG - why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kylee2katie, Aug 19, 2010.

1. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    I was cleaning the duck pen yesterday and had just filled the pool with clean, cool water - the ducks were very happy! So happy that "big momma" jumped in and started the mating ritual - head bobbing - funny quacking - flattening out, etc....my runner happily obliged her and climbed on top - the next thing I knew, my mallard drake flew in and jumped on top of him!!! My daughter was freaking out (so was I) so I went in the pen, thinking it would break it up - not the case...the mallard grabbed the runners neck, pulling out a hunk of feathers and pushed his head under water - keep in mind that the runner was on top of the pekin this whole time. I grabbed the mallard and literally pried his bill open and pulled him off and put him back outside...shutting the gate so he couldn't get back in.
    Why is he doing this? What can I do? Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is how ducks get drowned. Too many drakes trying to gang breed a hen can hold her head under water too long and drown her. About the only thing you can do is get rid of the extra drake or put him in another pen.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yup, get rid of the extra drakes or get more hens.

4. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    I have 4 other hens but they don't seem interested yet....also, at lunch when I went home, I found the same mallard drake on top of my runner drake - hen was out in the yard.....is this normal? Do I need to rehome the mallard or will this pass?

5. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Quote:That sounds like he is trying to establish dominance.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Dominance but are you sure your runner is a male. Just because one duck mounts another, does not make the mounter a male. Females will also mount for dominance display.

7. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas

Dominance but are you sure your runner is a male. Just because one duck mounts another, does not make the mounter a male. Females will also mount for dominance display.

Positive he's a he...I've seen "it" when he runs his victory lap....

8. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Positive he's a he...I've seen "it" when he runs his victory lap....

LOL!!! I almost laughed out loud here in the office! That is too funny!!!

But yes dominance thing!

God Bless

and thanks for brightening my day!​

9. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:LOL!!! I almost laughed out loud here in the office! That is too funny!!!

But yes dominance thing!

God Bless

and thanks for brightening my day!

My 6 year old daughter was with me a couple of weeks ago and he was running his victory lap and she screamed for me to help him...when I asked her why, she said he had a worm eating his belly!!! Now that will make you stop in your tracks....then you realize what she is looking at - send her in the house for a bag of peas and hope she forgets the "worm"!!

10. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    [​IMG] kylee: The worm made my day. Oh, how funny, now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by