Omg!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AJ666, Jul 8, 2010.

1. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    About a week ago I was weeding my dads veggie garden (he paid me for it, so I might as well)
    Meanwhile, my 7 chicks were frolicking about in the grass, having quite a good time. All the sudden I heard the farmiliar alarm call that only a chicken can do. I n't turned and was surprised to see that none other than Little Roo was making the noise! I didn't think it was possible!
    Upon closer examination, I could now see that Little roo and my brown EE girl were standing on either sides of a large green snake! Now I know that they were of course threatened by the snake because its in their instincts so their natural reaction would be to kill it or scare it away, but these chickens are about the size of a small softball! They stand no chance! But of course Little Roo, being the cocky little male that he already is, was going in for a hard peck or two. While he was doing this, the snake was about to lash out at the brown EE. All of this happening in a second. Surprisingly, my slow reflexes became fast ones, and my motherly insticts kicked in. Without thinking, I attempted to hit the snake with the hoe in my hand.
    At first I just wanted to scare it away, but then I thought of what damage it could have caused to my little girl, and I bacame more angry. Now I decided to teach it a lesson by chopping it in half! But by that time the fast snake was already halfway to the tall grass, where it knew it would be safe from the phyco mother hen that wanted to end its life. I lashed out at it a couple times, but it got away.

I'm pretty sure it wont mess with my babies anymore. [​IMG]

Yes, I've been told multiple times that I have anger problems.

2. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    good for you! I walked in on a possum killing my favorite roo once. Feathers and blood everywhere. Rage just clouded my eyes (i'm normally a very mild person) I grabbed a shovel and beat that stupid thing!! I went to go burry my poor roo, but then he jumped up! Bloody all over and naked! Unfortunately, he died of infection later. He was ripped up really bad. I asked my dad to please go dispose of the possum. He came back in amazed. It was a possum pancake.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. AJ666

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    I'm sorry about your roo [​IMG]
    But yes that sounds like me. I'm normally not a strong person but I get the feeling if I actuall hit that snake it would have been a clean cut [​IMG]

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:LMAO!!! well you got the job done and you saved your little ones!!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That adrenaline can really kick in when you get frightened or whatever!

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Oh yeah--that snake will remember! [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh yes...we rapidl access the situation, kill the thing trying to harm our feathered babies and then think "hmmm I might have been able to handle that differently" NOT

8. AJ666

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Quote:BAHAHA thats exactly how I feel!

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:*falls out of chair laughing*

10. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I was feeding my little chickens and I acendently left the door open, one of my little ones was aproaching the door, then suddenly my 9 1/2lb rooster jumped in the coop!!! I moved so fast to protect the chick the roo didn't have time to react, I kicked him out... HARD. After realizing what I did to him I freaked, the chick was fine, but I had hurt Red!!! He ran off limping.
    Reacting without thinking sucks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by