1. spelfrey

spelfrey New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    My 7mo. americana hen has never layed an egg. The rest of the flock is laying. I found her under the coop strugling. I think she has a binded egg. Her vent is protruding and she is contracting. I have given her a warm bath, liquid vitamin supplement. I have isolated her from the rest in hopes she can relax.
    I'm so worried and dont want her to sufer. Am I missing doing something to help her? Does anyone have any suggestions?
    We love our chickens!!!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sorry your hen is suffering.

Have you soaked her in fairly warm water for at least 10 to 15 mins? Not so hot it burns her but warm enough to allow her to relax?

Try soaking her again in a fairly warm bath of water. Hold her in there if you have to. See you you can get some calcium in to her, depending on what you have. Liquid calcium or calcium pills will work. Even 2 tums will work. If you can't get her to eat them you can crack them into small pieces and put them in raisins. This calcium will help the oviduct to contract to help push the egg out.

Can you see the egg at the vent?

You might take a look at this article on treating hens with egg binding that will help you through this should you need to remove the egg. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

If she hasn't passed this egg in a few hours, you will need to remove it before she gets too prolapsed. Once she prolapses, they can't push the egg out and you don't want her insides coming out. If she is already at this stage, I suggest you remove the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by