OMGOMGOMG 3 hatched today! Oh, a few Qs!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by secuono, Oct 26, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    3 babies hatched sometime today, prolly in the morning, they are so small!
    I took out 1 real bad egg and 4 others, put the 4 clear in another nest on the ground, maybe the Silkies can learn to nest.
    There was 4-6 more eggs that were dark, so I put them back and she will come back with the chicks, hopefully the rest hatch!

My other broody didn't get off the nest this time I came in to check on them, yay!

My first hatch, so happy!

I couldn't put up a divider for mom and babies, no more waterers, but they followed mom around when I came in. I just hope she doesn't take them outside...

Will she take them outside already?
    I don't think they will make it, they can fit through the chicken wire. [​IMG]

Should I get another waterer for chicks and raise the babies in the house? Should I bring mom and babies and nest indoors?

I also need to seal chick sized holes. Can I use expanding foam??
    I need something to close the holes fast and easy. I don't have wood, even if I did, no drill. Hammering takes forever and so much noise for them.
    Anyone know a brand of foam I can use??
    http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/074985/074985001543lg.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    First, congratulations! Second, don't worry, mom will take care of everything. She'll take them out when it's time and make sure they eat. I dont' think you'd have to separate them from the flock...I don't. Mom will kick everyone's axx if they come too close. I always leave my babies with their moms....they deserve it after hatching them out and it's only natural. I also don't think you should worry about them going through the fence because they have no reason to do that. They will stay very close to mom. Mine don't go through it even though they can if they want...they just stay by the warmth of mom:) Good luck with them!

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    first of all, three hatched fluffies and NO PICTURES? What are you THINKING?! [​IMG]
    just kidding. Congratulations on your hatch!
    Could you stuff some steel wool in the holes and cover with hardware cloth? I am not certain that foam will stop all chewers...
    enjoy those babies. [​IMG]

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    The last babies((came with the flock when I bought them)) popped through the fence and vanished, some fell through little holes or walked behind the wall and never came back.

Maybe I can wander the Lowes and find something better to fill all those chick eating holes, heh.

I didn't want to stress them too much. Will get pics tomorrow!

5. toby5

toby5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    TN
    [​IMG] congrats on you babies!!

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I went and got 'greatstuff' and filled in all the chick holes, also a big hole wild birds used to get in and out of. I put a bunch of old poppy wood shavings on it and they left it alone, lol.

Just 3 chicks still, the other eggs are dark, but no cracks or sounds....[​IMG]
    What are the chances they'll hatch?

7. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    pics in a few minutes!![​IMG]

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Awwww...thanks for sharing. You are gonna really enjoy the babies and watching them grow. You look like you live in Utopia...what a beautiful view!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by