OMGoodness I feel TERRIBLE!! Cracked an Egg, Video

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Nov 4, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    So I put some eggs in the bator on sunday afternoon. I've been watching and candled a couple times and couldn't see anything other than the yolk.
    Well today I set up a new candling setup and I went to look. In one I thought I could notice a blood ring. I was excited because that looked like progress. Then, I dropped one, [​IMG] it cracked, so I took it to a plate and cracked it the rest of the way to see if there was any progress, there for sure was, there was a ring, and veins, so I was excited for the others. I don't know what came over me after that because I decided to try candling another egg, this one slipped onto the light and cracked as well. [​IMG] (i think it is my frozen fingers this morning.) SO I did the same and cracked it onto the plate....and I saw a clear cut heartbeat. I can't explain how I feel. Well, terrible. I killed that baby chick. I'm not candling again for a long time and only then to get rid of any that haven't progressed at all. I just feel horrible.

OK, I'm also wondering though does it look like development is right for what day we are on? This is my first ever time incubating and I feel like I'm doing it all wrong!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sorry [​IMG] That is a very interesting video though..

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    If one cracks again and it's not huge & leaking, try covering the crack with a thin layer of Elmer's Glue. You may be able to save it. [​IMG]

I bumped the bator last night and cracked a duck egg half way thru incubation (a dent the size of a pea with two half-inch long cracks going way...think of dinged windshield)...did the glue trick and he's still very active this morning. Just hoping he makes it till hatch.

I cracked open turkey egg I was SURE was dead about a week before hatch...he was very much alive. [​IMG] I know how horrible the feeling is. But, don't beat yourself up.

4. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Thanks! I don't think these were salvageable..they both were starting to leak right away. Ugh..feel terrible, but I feel some hope too. I really had no idea if the eggs were even fertile, so now I know that I have hope of hatching some soon!! YAY!

5. Mama duck 8

Mama duck 8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    That has happened to me before

6. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i've done the same thing [​IMG] , one of my girls hide an egg and when i went to make scrambled eggs i got quite the surprise heartbeat and embryo, but it coud have been worse i had a hen go broody and had 3 eggs one hatched right on schedule with help and the other 2 didn't and at 28 days showed no movement or anything and so I cracked them to see what happened i thought they had gotten scrambled and when I cracked them I found that they were both alive they both took a breathe and died seconds later but they would have never made it there was way to much fluid and no air sack which is why I thought they were scrambled after i looked at them closer they were very under developed for the stage they were in and the one that hatched 8 days earlier looked so much different when he hatched than they did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by