Omgoodness My Silkie's toe is broken!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lswatson111304, Oct 24, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I just went outside to check on them and decided to try to handle them a bit. Well my about 4 week old silkie has a broken toe. I am pretty sure I've seen it before but he hopped out of my hand so quickly it didn't register that something was wrong. It is completely bent in toward the bottom of his foot. Its his 5th toe..I guess. LOL He gets around the brooder fine and seems ok otherwise, but his toe is just completely broken. What do I do?

2. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    You can make a splint with a bandaid for the toe. Or a little "boot" with a piece of cardboard and a bandaid.
    Here is a link to a thread with some pictures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51112&p=1

I would try a splint of sorts, but if it doesn't work out, as long as it isn't impeding her in any way or causing discomfort, don't fret too much over it. We had a rooster here who had a toe caught in an eye hook, and was hanging upside down by that one toe for who knows how long. His pride was quite damaged, and his toe was crooked, but after the initial injury, it caused him no problems.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    The link in my signature has a lot of info on foot and leg issues. The site is pretty user friendly with pics and instructions. Good luck.

4. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    pipe cleaners can make nice bendable splints

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hrm... a 4 week old chick is active enough to be hard to splint. I'd get a flat peice of plastic and tape the chick's foot down flat to it with electrical tape wrapped all the way around. That will allow the foot to heal straight.

Pipecleaners and bandaides are more appropriate for several day old chicks. I think a 4 week old would get that off of his foot within 2 seconds flat.

Leave the splint on for one to two weeks, and viola it should be healed.

6. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Yeah I tried the bandaid and that didn't work.
    Will the tape hurt the chick later on, I mean..he sure has lots of feathers on his feet!

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    If it's a feather-footed variety, you can trim the feathers down with scissors to reduce pulling. Having the tape on his foot won't hurt him. It may sting temporarily when you remove the tape after a week, but only momentarily. No permenant harm [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by