Omlet Auto Door question

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
Hello all. I am unsure whether to have my auto door set to "light" or "time" to open and close mornings and evenings.

How sensitive is the light sensor? My door & program box will be on the north side of the coop, under galvanized roofing.

Also: is it better to have it on a timer and just change the time quarterly to adjust for daylight hours? I'm leaning toward this idea.

I'd do a poll, but I don't know how.

Thanks.

I don't have this particular auto door but light mode is probably the easier mode for most people to work with, as it'll automatically keep up with growing and shortening day lengths with no need for you to do anything.

I live in the oftentime gloomy PNW (so light sensors can be touchy here), and I also do NOT want the chickens out and about at dawn as that's when a lot of potential predators are passing through, plus I want to sleep in darn it, so I specifically got a door that's timer only and adjust the close time on it throughout the year.

We have an Omlet and the control is on the North side under an overhang. We have never been able to use the light function. We tried different setting and could not get it to act right. We use ours on Time function and it works out fine. Only have to adjust the time a couple times a year so its OK.

We have an Omlet and the control is on the North side under an overhang. We have never been able to use the light function. We tried different setting and could not get it to act right. We use ours on Time function and it works out fine. Only have to adjust the time a couple times a year so its OK.
I want to add my two cents on this I found the light function useless even adjusting the light sensitivity settings on the device. I don't use the doors for my coop since I find the light function unreliable and I don't want to keep heading out and resetting the time as the days grow longer or shorter. Personally I've had better luck with pullet shut doors chickendoors.com. I have one of my doors which I've had for probably about 15 years and it continues to work reliably. The best part is there's nothing to adjust using the light sensor option and the light sensor can be mounted anywhere you want since it comes on a long cable so you can Orient it so it'll point toward where the sun rises in the morning for example. Works dependably and it's the only door I use on my coops since it seems to be so reliable for all these years I have several of them really. I use one set of doors for my feeders so I don't have to keep pulling the feeders in and out every night they're in a separate enclosure and then of course I have a pullet shut door for my coop.

Hello all. I am unsure whether to have my auto door set to "light" or "time" to open and close mornings and evenings.

How sensitive is the light sensor? My door & program box will be on the north side of the coop, under galvanized roofing.

Also: is it better to have it on a timer and just change the time quarterly to adjust for daylight hours? I'm leaning toward this idea.

I'd do a poll, but I don't know how.

Thanks.
I also have the Omlet auto door and found the light function to be unpredictable. I tried several different light settings and it never worked as expected. Ended up using the time function which has been consistent every time.

Back
Top Bottom