Omlet Eglu/Cube Hacks?

nmr

Songster
Mar 12, 2020
Metro West Massachusetts
I just picked up a used Omlet Cube with 6ft run for my silkies. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for hacks/modifications I can do to the Cube and the run to make it more secure, more chicken-friendly etc.

I did zip-tie the hell out of the run and the coop, so that is set. I'm looking for stakes for securing the run to the ground. I was also thinking about ordering their combi-cover for the run, but it's out of stock. Suggestions for an alternative? I really like the 1/2-1/2 cover.

Thanks!

Safety: You have to put big/heavy tiles around the run and coop against diggers.
Space: do you only have 2 silkies? Bc 5 * 6 “ is very little run space. Or can they free range a couple of hours every day too?
Shade: you can put a tarp or party tent over the run or use any light coloured or cotton fabric to attach it over a part of the run.

It would be great if you can make a second run for more space and shade . You can keep it simple and make it from a party tent. Just glue the frame and get the fabric off on rainy & windy days.

I have wrapped mine with hardware cloth and added hasps over the knobs for raccoon deterrance. This pic is pre-hasp.
IMG_2250.jpeg

Here is my hack- I put walnut shell litter (with some diatomaceous earth and sweet pdz mixed in ) in the roost tray and use a kitty litter scoop to filter the poop out every day- goes into the compost. Keeps it fresh. If you aren’t using it for a tractor to move it every couple of days you can put an umbrella or shade sail over the cube to keep it extra protected from the sun so they have a cool place to lay eggs. Mine is under a tree but the sun still hits it hard in the afternoon so I put up a shade sail and it helped a lot with the heat. I’m in Texas where it is frequently in the high 90s -100s.

Also-shade cloth zip tied over part of the run works great.

@lesliedow Take the pavers off the anti-dig apron, let the grass grow up thru the HC.
Putting anything on top of an apron may make it fail,
they can start digging at the outer edge of the paver and end up underneath the apron.
Thanks for the advice. How exactly will it make it fail? That removing the pavers will prevent? I have always used gravel to cover the apron, but since this is a temporary coop I didnt want to do that so figured that pavers would at least keep them from prying up the edge of the apron.

Thanks for the advice. How exactly will it make it fail?
they can start digging at the outer edge of the paver and end up underneath the apron.

That removing the pavers will prevent? I have always used gravel to cover the apron, but since this is a temporary coop I didnt want to do that so figured that pavers would at least keep them from prying up the edge of the apron.
Better to use landscape staples to hold down the outer apron edge.

Last edited:
How much rats and other digging predators do you have where you live? I think the hwc with pavers will do fine for many situations. Here an official advice centre advices 12” pavers or at least 12” hwc in the ground (flat or deep).

I have pavers 12 x 12” around the coop and no hwc. The soil here contains loam and clay and is quite hard. Its not easy to dig in it. I have this situation for 6 years and nothing ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom