I own the cube with a 6-foot run for 5-BR pullets. After having an aviary for over 10-years, I found that wood structures not only retain their odor but are subject to more upkeep than I care to discuss. With the cube I don't have to worry about the odor, the mess of cleaning up a permanent run or repair work.
Also from what I've learned on the BYC forum about caring for chickens, the cube is adequately ventilated, construction is such that you don't have to worry about heat, and the interior is very easy to clean; which I do on a daily basis putting the waste in a compost pile.
I did have concerns about the wire openings (1 x 3) on the run as some predators could reach through the gap. To quell my fears I added 1/2" wire cloth around the run 18 high securing it with tie wire (used to secure rebar). I also was concerned about the plastic clasps the hold the run together; although it made it very easy to assemble I didnt trust the strength of them. To compensate for the weakness I added tie wire in key areas where the sections connect and it made the run more ridged.
As I live in Carson Valley, NV where it can get very windy, I fitted the run with 4-removable panels. When we get gust up to 45 mph, the hens can remain in the run to enjoy the outdoors. I do not let them range as I have two G. Sheppards that would chase them. So to prevent damage to my grassy area, I move the tractor every morning raking up the droppings (takes about 3 to 5 minutes) and clean out the interior (total time 15 to 20 min).
The cube is pricey but to me for the money, it is well worth the money spent. Hope this helps.
Per your request, I've never downloaded pictures before on BYC, hope this works.
1. When it is forecasted for bad weather I fully panel the Cube after they are shut in for the night. I remove some or all of the panels depending on weather conditions. Across the top of the run is a sheet of clear plastic that is secured with bungee cord.
2. This is the front panel secured with bungee cord. Panels are made from two sheets of USB board, primed and painted. For easy handling, I put gate handles on all the panels.
3. The rear panel fits behind the wheel levers and is pulled out before I push the lever down to lower the wheels. The hens are locked securely in the cube when I lower the wheels. They do not squawk when this is done nor do they complain when I move the Tractor. Note around the run is a fox guard which comes with the cube. So far the cube has withstood wind gusts of up to 45-mph with all the panels in place. Also note the nylon cord on the right wheel lever Ill put that around the run to secure all the panels in high winds.
4. Side panel. Note at the top there are two small lengths of light bungee cord attached to eye bolts that secure the panel from small breezes. When large winds are predicted I use nylon cord around the run. The G. Sheppard is Annie; shes going on 13 years old & doesnt bother the chicks, its her younger upstart that does.
5. Partially paneled. This has been the way the tractor has been set up recently. The panels are also used when the hens need some shade. I find that they prefer their water container, attached to the door for easy access, and the feeder, attached low just inside the door, to be in the shade when it is hot; the front panel provides that shade. Note the Wire-Cloth around the run secured with wire ties. Note also the plastic hinges on the left side of the door. With the weight of the water I feared the plastic hinges would not last so I used wire ties for extra strength.
We just got a cube three days ago. We haven't moved the chickens in yet, though they seem quite interested in it. Three of them wanted to roost there tonight.
When we put it together, we noticed an area where the side and top panels do not quite meet at one corner. This may be a problem where we didn't get it lined up exactly right during assembly, so there may be more investigation needed. There are channels to catch the water running off the top and direct it off the edges. We're going to spray the hose at it and see what happens before we move the chickens in. So I can report back in a couple of days on that.
We also added 1/2" hardware cloth around the bottom 2 feet of the run, and used wire ties rather than the included clips, because they're easier to deal with.
Our chickens had some problems slipping on the ladder. We made a wooden ladder that just leans against the plastic one. I just read another discussion where someone suggested attaching a strip of plastic-mesh fencing, so we might try that.
Reporting back on the leaking issue:
We didn't need to use the hose, as it rained bunches. After a gentle rain, there was no water inside. But since there are still some cracks where the sides don't quite meet perfectly, we made a raincoat for it before the wind-and-rain combo we got yesterday. I just took a 9x12 tarp and sewed the corners so it covers the top, sides, and back snugly. It covers most of the run too, and goes down to the ground, to give the chickens a sheltered area when it's stormy. With the sewed corners, there's less wind flapping to deal with.
I think I'm going to get some of that super-clear woven tarp from Farmtec and make an upgraded model of raincoat now that I know what I'm doing. I'll add a flap for the egg-port, openings for the wheel levers, etc.