1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

omy chicken is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessicam320, Mar 12, 2012.

1. jessicam320

jessicam320 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Hey everyone, i could really use some help my red sex link acts lethargic, is doing pushing movements at her vent, has clear discharge, she aint really getting around much she standing quité a bit but was sticking to the coop. I dont feel any bulges at the crop Or abdomen. She OS poofed up and hunched. i dont know Wat could be wrong less she swallowed something she wasnt suppose. They are all free range. Also shes been wormed a month or so ago, her eyes are clear and nostrils too. Hell pls! Id hate to lose her.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like she is possibly eggbound. Soak her for about 20 minutes in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside during the 20 minute time frame, front to rear. Next, put on a disposable glove and put olive oil on it and insert your finger into her vent checking for debris. Then remove your finger and put olive oil just inside her vent and outside. Hopefully she'll lay an egg. Wait a few hours and then do the following:
    If the clear liquid is egg white, most likely she could get a bacterial infection and eventually die. To prevent infection, use a large syringe without a needle. Mix 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 quart of water. Stick a syringeful of the mixture into her vent and flush, do this a couple more times. The liquid may or may not flow from her vent, this is normal.
    If she is egg impacted, unfortunately there's not much you can do. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. jessicam320

Mar 12, 2012
    Ok thank you, i will giv it a go

4. jessicam320

Mar 12, 2012
    Well i soaked, massagd,checked, and lubed her. I dont have a syringe...dont guess there is anything else that can be used? She straitened up a bit after the bath, but still dont wanna move much. Everytime i check on her shes standing up. Last time before the bath she was shakeing pretty bad...:( hope she makes it.

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    You can use a turkey baster....

6. jessicam320

Mar 12, 2012
    I dont got that either thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by