On 24th Hour of Hatch--Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatGold, May 14, 2011.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Hi folks,

Yesterday was Day 25 of hatching some ducks. I had one hatch at 8:00 pm (24 hours ago). Two more hatched over night (about 12-15 hours ago). They are happy in the bator and look great.

There are three other eggs that have not yet hatched. They were rocking as of yesterday, but today there is no more rocking and there has been no tapping (I use a stethoscope against the bator).

What should I do? Should I put the three in the brooder and candle the unhatched eggs, or should I keep the bator closed and be patient?

Thanks so much!

Kathie

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    patient!! Ducks seem to take forever to hatch. give it until in the morning and then if still no movement move the ones that have hatched, then keep the others incubating

ducks normally take 28 days.

3. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks Fancy Plants. I'll do that. I might even give them until the afternoon if you think the peeping encourages the others.

My biggest concern is that the non-pipped eggs internally pipped 3 days ago and stopped rocking over a day ago. Having never done this before, I don't trust my thoughts, but it seems to me that things just stopped progressing. Could a duck that started internal pipping so early still take up to 28 days?

I am getting concerned about the other ones getting hungry or thirsty. Poor cute, little, yellow, fluffy babies.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    If none of the other eggs have pipped take the babies out. Then you can candle but only if there are no pips in the eggs. My first duck took forever to hatch. 3 days actually and she did fine. give it some time they may be resting. Its hard work hatching and since you are not at 28 days try not to worry. I know easier said than done.

5. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    Okay, so when I candle, what should I look for? Since they were internally pipping a couple of days ago, I guess I should look for their bill to be in the air sack, of course any movement would be good. Other then that, are there any particular signs that I should consider either good or bad?

I guess the answer I'm looking for is the question I haven't asked which is this: If they internally pipped 3 days ago, is it even possible to have enough air to last this long?

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Yes I would look for movement. From what I have been told eggs are porous and they breath. So yes it is possible for them to have internally pipped and still have air. You could try pipping them but since you are not at day 28 I dont think I would be thats just me. I am always afraid that I would hurt them. I have helped out a couple of chickens that had a little problem getting out, but not until they had pipped and started to zip. I had one pip at the wrong end. After awhile you could tell she just couldnt get turned around enough to zip. We cracked most of the shell away and kept the membrane moist then she hatched herself the rest of the way.

7. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    Okay, done.

I put some water with tiny bits of cut up lettuce into the bator, removed the old shells and candled the remaining ones.

I had some dry food in there, but one of the ducklings seemed to have a hard time eating it, so I removed it and sprinkled a little in the water.

During the candle, I found nothing conclusive. There was no movement. No bills in the air cell. Just dark blobs. One egg looks really weird. The air cell has increased and is probably 45% of the egg. I've always thought this was a bad egg, but was never certain and it doesn't smell bad.

I'm leaving everyone there for now and at least until Day 28.

Thanks for everything!

8. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG] in the future, if you open the incubator to candle, go ahead and take the ones that have hatched out. The whole point of them staying in is to prevent you from opening the incubator. Sorry that wasn't clear.

9. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    Oh silly me!

[​IMG]

I thought that the ducklings peeps would encourage the later ones to get going. That's why I left them there. Next time, I'll pull them out and put them in a brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by