(on a better note) My chicks LOVE crickets!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaroos, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Chickaroos

Chickaroos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Today at our pet store they had a huge selection of crickets. Right away I grabbed 30 of them (ok that guy working at the store got them for me...crickets are scary!) and the kids and I ran home and dumped them in with the chicks..They adsolutly loved them! They hopped up as the crickets climbed the walls of their brooder. and they dug around until they found every last one! It was so much fun!
    We also have a small worm farm/compost and the other day we threw in 3 worms to the chicks and they had so much fun with them...

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    That's funny, about a year ago we had a massive cricket outbreak at the local shopping centre (nobody knew what was going on, most of the shops closed for a few hours to sweep everything up) and my mother and I ran down with several plastic bags to gather them. The chickens were all over it, it was the funniest thing to watch. :lol: Unfortunately it seems like that was only a one-off thing.

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I have never given mine crickets. I do give the adult birds an occasional grasshopper in the summer when I catch one. Maybe I will give crickets a try this year. But I have to get the chicks first....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by