on a tight budget...building a run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by maralynn28, May 11, 2010.

1. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Hi all,
    We were planning on building a run out of pvc (as seen in other posts on this site), however when we looked up the fittings we'd need and that we have to special order them online the total came out to be 50$ JUST for the fittings. Is there another way of constructing a run for less? We are making it 15' x 8' and 3' tall. I appreciate all your input.

2. JenO

JenO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Newberg, OR
    did you check out the tacky coop thread? there are some very...uh...creative ideas there.... [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Any time you're trying to save money, IMO the thing to do is see what you can scrounge, THEN figure out how you can use it for whatcha want [​IMG]

If there's any places around you with saggy old abandoned downed fencelines in fields, you might knock and see if they would sell you the T-posts for like a couple bucks apiece, you remove 'em. Or concentrate on scrounging useable wire mesh and buy p/t 4x4s for the posts, and scrounge 2x4s or 2x6s. Or see if someone has a destroyed portable carport, you know the ones that are a fitted tarp thing on a pipe frame, that they would sell for $20 just to get you to remove it. Etc etc.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thank you...
    JenO, yes I did look...how neat! I wouldn't mind something like that, some of them are pretty darn good...but I'm really stressing the "predator safe" aspect...just had a neighbor whose ENTIRE flock was wiped out by raccoon. [​IMG] I have actually thought about asking her for her old coop, but she's devastated and I can't think how to do it tactfully. [​IMG] Plus it makes me wonder how safe it is if all her chickens got taken, maybe they forgot to lock them up one night? dunno.

Pat- I think I'm going to look around a little more, I did get some inspirations from looking at tacky coops and also from your suggestions...thanks again!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh, another thought -- if you just want a *small* run, for not very many chickens, and have a source for cheap mesh and it's mainly the *structure* that you're struggling with, consider a cattle-panel hoop-house style run. Cattle panels are pretty cheap, like $20 or so for enough to make 4x8 worth of run (and of course most people run multiple panels, to create an 8' x <however>-long run). Although you do need some kind of mesh to cover them with obviosly since the holes are so large.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    how bout bamboo.it acts like pvc,just need to twine it together.

7. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Also check Craigslist for dog kennels. Sometimes you can find them pretty cheap. Than you would just need to put smaller wire fencing only around the bottom. And on the top.

8. JenO

JenO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Newberg, OR
    If you felt like a road trip I could totally hook you up with a bunch of pallets and somewhat abused plywood for nothing, altho not sure if the cost of gas would be worth it for you. I'm just southwest of Portland, OR. The neighborhood kids built a giant structure to do bike stunts out of stuff they found in the nearby loading dock and I've been tempted to snag a bunch of it for ages, and this weekend it got torn apart so now I'm working hard to talk myself out of going over there, it's basically right across the street from me...

9. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Last edited: May 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by