On again, off again broody-will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dianneS, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have a first time broody OEGB. She's gradually going broody. As in, she didn't commit right away. First she was only on the nest at night, then a few hours during the day. Now it finally seems as though she's broody full-time and actually staying on the nest. It took her a while to decide if she was going to commit to this broody business or not. Do you think her eggs will hatch with all of this on again off again brooding?

Also, her nest is outside and I'm afraid she's going to get eaten by a preditor. Will she stay on the nest if I move it to safety?

2. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

A good broody will know when she can get off and for how long. Maybe all is well.

I think you may have to do something about where the nest is, How about a cage over it. I've read where people have moved the clutch and the hen into a safe place.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I did move the broody to a nest box last night after dark and I think she's staying on the nest now. I'm going to keep her locked in the hen house all day today and see what happens. I tried to move her in daylight yesterday and she just went back outside to her original nest even though there were no eggs in it! I think I'll candle the eggs and see if there is anything going on in there too.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I moved mine 2 nights ago, put her and eggs in a box and moved them all together . Eggs should hatch, good luck!!!

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Ugh! [​IMG] That broody has been in the coop all day with her eggs in a nest box and she will not sit on them! She frantically wants to be outside on her original nest which has no eggs in it anymore!! [​IMG]

This evening at dusk I went in the hen house to find the broody on the roost with the rest of the chickens and another hen (a really good broody who was sitting on a nest of her own eggs) had decided to sit on this broodies eggs and abandoned her own!!

I decided to candle all eggs involved. I candled the eggs that I just moved into the coop from outside. They are viable!! I even see movement inside!! [​IMG]

I checked the other nest, which was still warm and those eggs were not viable at all. Those eggs were laid by an older hen of mine and her eggs never hatch. I wonder if that good broody of mine can sense which eggs are viable and which ones are not since she abandoned the "dead" eggs and took over the nest of the other hens good eggs?

Well, I'm excited because I know that this girl will hatch these eggs no problem. The chicks are barred OEGB x spangled OEGB. Should be an interesting combo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by