On again Off again Laying?

mmahanna

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
These are our first chickens as a forward. We have six Plymouth Barred Rock hens. They are all approximately 26 weeks old. Two of our hens started laying around the 6th of September, but for the past four days we haven't seen any eggs. The few eggs we did receive were all perfect if small. All of the birds appear healthy and in no visible distress. We do let them roam the garden and that's the first place I checked since there were no eggs in the nests. I understand that each bird will have its quirks but for both of the two that were laying to just stop seems odd. Any suggestions?

It usually takes them about a month to get used to the idea of laying eggs. They may lay erratically, hide the eggs, start and stop, lay odd eggs -- lots of things. They aren't all going to start on the same day or even in the same week, even though they are the same breed.

Thanks FlockWatcher! I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't anything health wise that I was missing with my girls. We'll just keep watching and see which way nature wants to go!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom