? on broodiness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstricer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Will a broody hen set on eggs in her coop in nesting boxes?

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yes

3. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    So if I add eggs other chickens to the nest the broodie will try to hatch all? And what are the signs of a chicken go broodie? I have a hen that doesnt seem to like it very well when I come in coop and take eggs. Should I leave some in the nest to see if she sets?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She will puff up like a puffer fish and scream at you. She will be fiercy protective of her nest. Now mine is doing all this and she's not fully broody yet. I'm waiting for her to be in the nest all the time, including at night.

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    And when you throw her off the nest to eat, drink & poop, she wlk stalk around clucking at you with her feathers all puffed up and her wings away from her body and lowered a bit, like she's trying to cover a bunch of eggs while she's walking around. The clucking is a single sound... cluck, cluck, cluck... and they keep it up until they get back on the nest.

6. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

If she is broody she will sit any kind of egg. We us bantam buff cochins to set our sumatra eggs. For a bantam about 10 bantam eggs is all she can cover at a time. With our birds you know when she goes broody. She gets very flat and fat and she will not move off the nest box but once a day. Make sure you do not put to many eggs under her at one time. She will only come off 1 time a day to eat, poop and drink. Once you place your eggs just count your days and leave her alone. She will handle every thing else.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by