?? on chick development in the egg?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by josh, Apr 18, 2008.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I just candled my eggs they were put in the Bator at the same time. I have an old style hovabator that I put a fan in.
    I had to mount it on one site. The chicks in the eggs on the side with the fan look further along in the egg than the ones on the side without the fan. Is this possible or is it my imagination

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

It's possible. I have older sportsman incubators and the eggs on the top rack grow quicker too. The fan is mounted inthe top of these units. That's why when I candle every 7 days, I also rotate egg trays.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It has been suggested to me that I not only turn the eggs, but rotate them within the incubator because the temps might not be even throughout. Makes sense! [​IMG]

4. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Hello! This is my first ever post. I LOVE this site. All this time I believed I was the only guy in the world whose favorite animal is the chicken. So...thanks.

Nearly three weeks ago, I placed my first ever batch of eggs into my first ever incubator (Little Giant). There were a dozen eggs: 6 Campine Bantams and 6 Dutch Mille Fleur Bantams, and now there is one. [​IMG]
    There were two blood rings, one chick that stopped developing around Day 8 and another that stopped developing Day 15. So the guy was in the incubator ALL alone...

...I post videos on youtube (same screenname) and a wonderful viewer ordered more eggs after my unsuccessful first batch. Those 15 eggs were set on Thursday, which was Day 16 for the lone bantam....

...Which means, in my incubator, I have ONE egg about to enter into those critical final three days, and FIFTEEN eggs which have just been set and need to be turned-by-hand several times per day.

What should I do?!? I am aware that the humidity level needs to be WAY up and I have read that one should NOT open the 'Bator!!! But I must. If I could do it all over again, I would have waited or bought another bator, but I did not.

Can I spare my eggs? Help is needed!!!

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Welcome to BYC!

Unless you have a separate hatcher, you're kind of stuck. The humidity is more critical for your Millie, so if it were me, I would not turn the new eggs until the Mille hatches. I hope someone else will chime in... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  6. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Would they hatch the same if I had a fan on each side????????

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Possibly... but it's just as easy to rotate them... [​IMG]

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Yeah, the easiest thing would just be to rotate the eggs when you have to open the bator to refill with water. Just put the ones closest to the fan on opposite side of bator, and vice versa. No big deal. Even if I DON"T rotate the eggs at all during incubation, the ones farthest away from the heat source just take an extra day or two to hatch. Just be sure and watch for the ones closest to the heat to pip early.

9. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I have the same situation. I have some Delawares on Day 18, but my Welsummers and Toulouse are set to hatch until the 1st of May. I would only rotate them when you have to add more water and hope, like me, they come out alright.

Another thing I have been doing was I put all my Welsummers in a carton and use the holes in the top of the incubator to slightly turn the egg, like an egg turner. If you can do that, be careful not to jar them or the others.

Good luck!

10. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    wow i never thought all this could be possible??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by