on corid and having bloody stools HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2jsbabyfarm, Aug 10, 2013.

1. 2jsbabyfarm

2jsbabyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Well my big chickens startedhaving bloody poop so I started them on corid 3 days ago. I also started my 9 week old chicks on it. They are separate from the primary flock but have been soending some time with them to start work on integration. So anyway the big birds seem to be on the mend, blood is gone. But thus morning my babies are having bloody stools. Is that normal even though theyve been on the corid for several days?? Any help or advice is appreciated!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    When one of my chickens had Coccidios, she still had bloody stools for several days after beginning treatment. So, it could be normal. However, may I inquire, what is the Corid dosage that you are using? And is it Corid liquid or Corid powder?

3. 2jsbabyfarm

2jsbabyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    1/2 tsp per gallon of the powder, changed daily. I wouldnt be worried except for the fact that I just noticed the bloody poop today and not the 2 or so days before that theyve been on corid

4. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    That dosage is correct, so I don't think that is the problem. Maybe the Corid is irritating their digestive tract? I've only ever heard of Sulmet doing that, but I'm sure its not unheard of. Maybe give them some probiotics in their water, if you have/can get them.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Do you know for sure they are drinking the medicated water? Add warm medicated water to feed so it resembles oatmeal, chicks love this and has the added benefit of cocci medication in it. You can increase the dose,if you are still seeing bloody poop. Bloody poop is normally gone in approx. 24 hours. You can increase the dose to 3/4 tsp. You have not been giving any vitamins during cocci treatment,vitamins interfere with the ability of medication to work. You are seeing blood,and not intestinal lining?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The Corid website recommends 3/4 of a teaspoon of the powder for treatment, not 1/2 teaspoon.

-Kathy

7. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    The information I found on BYC said 1/2 teaspoon powder per gallon of water. I guess there is some controversy on the topic...

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I think I trust the Corid website more than I trust what people have read here, but haven't bothered to do the math on. No offense meant to anyone, really... And when I have time, I'm going to do the math for the powder.

Already did the math for the liquid and the amount recommended is 5ml for moderate outbreaks and 9.5ml (2 teaspoons) for severe outbreaks.

-Kathy

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    After considerable research by several members on forum,we have found that the 1/2 tsp is for moderate outbreak, 3/4 tsp is for severe outbreak. I will be giving the 3/4 tsp as dosage information from here on. I have also found that going back and looking at forums,when using the powder 1/2 tsp dosage,some chickens are not getting better as fast as they should have been,this tells me that the dose does needs to be increased. There does not appear to be any problems with birds that have been medicated using the 2 tsp liquid dose,they are responding to treatment like they should.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'm not positive, but I think the math is going to show that it's closer to 1 teaspoon. Now I need to figure out how many teaspoons it takes to get 912-960 mg of amprolium, cause that's how much is in a gallon when you use the liquid at 9.5 ml or 2 teaspoons.

Make sense? Sure wish I could explain things better, might not tick off so many people, lol.

Again, no offense intended.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by