ON DAY 20, 1 HATCHED, 1 PIP, ANOTHER EGG ROCKING!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Quail_Antwerp, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    we moved them to the hatcher last night. I was going with the egg carton method, using the paper carton. I was so happy that I got my humidity up to 74%.

Well, this evening I noticed the carton looked wet, and 2 of the eggs had a drop of water on them.

Yes, I opened the 'bator, quickly took all the eggs out of the carton, laid them on their sides, and tossed the wet carton. I heard pipping in 2 eggs, and one of those had a chick peeping loudly from inside the shell.

My temps went right back up as soon as I shut the 'bator and my humidity is still 74%, but I am afraid my chicks may have drowned.

Has anyone had this happen before using the egg carton method? And if so, did you still have chicks hatch?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If it's day 19 I wouldn't be too concerned. My humidity insisted on staying at 80% during the last 3 days of my last hatch. Not ideal, but mine were all fine.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:That would be telling you your hum is to high !!!!! Take out some water and get it down to 65ish !!!!

Hope they didnt drowned !!!!!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I usually hatch mine with no problems at 55-65%. I think 74% is too high. But chicks that are strong will make it through regardless in my experience.

5. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I did take some of the water out. Humidity is down to 65% and I can hear cheeping coming from the 'bator, but no chicks yet. They are due to hatch tomorrow.

6. 1chickescapes

1chickescapes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    northern NH
    good luck with your hatch!

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Should be soon !!!!!!!!! Good luck !!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:May I ask where in NH you are ???

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    They sound fine to me. I don't think short term high humdity can drown them.

No more opening the hatcher unless absolutely neccesary!!!!

10. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Take a deep breath, some are cheeping!
    They raise their own humidity too when their hatching. You did the right thing to drop the humidity to what you did, and if you put a dry carton in there, in my experience, it may get toooo dry now, or if you do want it drier, put them back in a carton and it may help dry the air (I've found the cartons suck the humidity out of the air quite a bit)...
    Good luck with the hatch, your babies are probably ok....and I agree, strong chicks make it almost no matter what ya do to em! Even shipping!

Tina/tfpets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by