? on external nest boxes on coops with attached covered runs

Wise Woman

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 12, 2011
My Cottage
As I try to finalize my new coop plans, I keep changing my mind on where the external nest boxes should go. Our coop will be attached to a covered run in the playhouse style coop design. I have researched coops until my eyes are about to fall out. One thing I have noticed is that all the coops of this style I have looked at, seem to have their nest boxes on one of the walls outside the run. Is there a reason for this? I am considering putting mine on the wall that will be inside the run next to the pop door. I thought this would prevent leakage in the nest boxes since it will be under the roof as well as have it's own little roof and it will remove temptation in case any predators decide to attempt to get into it. The run will be completely enclosed in hardwire cloth and the the perimeter of the run and coop will have hardwire cloth buried and be surrounded by sidewalk, driveway and cobblestones and be closed up at night. Come winter, the run will be enclosed with clear corrigated panels to keep the snow out.

The only disadvantage I see to this is the fact that I will have to go into the run to get the eggs, but I don't think that is a big deal, considering the benefits and it will be easy enough to get in and out of. Is there a reason this generally isn't done that I should be aware of before I do it? If I put them on the inside wall, that will leave me a whole wall to install a built in chick brooder! Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I think that the outside nest boxes really are to give you more room for the girls to have on the inside of the coop, more than anything. I plan on moving mine to the outside soon, so that I have the space on the inside for them, or other things like food, water, and their dust bath for winter. Right now its just a temporary thing, hanging from one of the 2x4's on the inside of the coop. But I can really see the advantage of having it hanging on the outside instead.

nest-box.jpg

Of course I will have to build something different than what I have here to do that.

You are right about the extra room and that is why I am doing it, but I have read many posts where people claim they leak or that predators can get into them. Yet most coops I see with covered runs, still have the nest boxes on an exterior wall instead of the one covered by the run. I am planning to put mine on the wall in the run and was just wondering if there is some good reason not too since no one seems to build their coops this way. Thank you for the picture of your nest boxes. After 10 years of coops with the nest boxes inside and no way to make exterior doors because they are always up against the goat house, I am ready for some external nest boxes!

As long as the boxes are easy to access for you and the hens and they are dry and ventalated a little, most of us let the size and shape of the coop determine the best spot. Boxes "piggybacked" on the side of the coop works well because they do not affect interior room. If room is not an issue, then having them inside let's you check things and clean as needed while we're in the coop. Security is a ongoing concern no matter what you layout dscision is.

If you can post your design, maybe we can better offer suggestions. Besides we may want to steal a idea
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I think its an eggcellent idea. there is really no ""rule"" for nest box location. Only what is convenient and safe for you and your hens.

There are several options for nest boxes too. I am researching barrel nests or communal nests myself. Barrel nests or tunnel nests are a bigger box arrangement with a single hole that can accommodate two or three hens at a time. Also since I am doing a hen house rather than a coop I have interior walls along a hallway of sorts to hang nests. But thats me.

If you can post your design, maybe we can better offer suggestions. Besides we may want to steal a idea
wink.png

Bryan99705, I will try to get them down on paper and post them. So far they are only in my head, which isn't a very safe place for them ! LOL!!!! I doubt I have any ideas worth stealing, but everyone is welcome to use anything I post.

There are several options for nest boxes too. I am researching barrel nests or communal nests myself. Barrel nests or tunnel nests are a bigger box arrangement with a single hole that can accommodate two or three hens at a time. Also since I am doing a hen house rather than a coop I have interior walls along a hallway of sorts to hang nests.

Perchie.girl, I am considering communal nests as well. I currently have 6 nest boxes and they only ever use 2. I often find 2 hens in one box, so I have been thinking of just making 2 big boxes that would be equal to 6 nest boxes. Not sure about that yet, but it is a thought.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone

Back
Top Bottom