On final day of dry hatch--cannot raise humidity to high percent. First timer with dry hatch method

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatGold, Mar 17, 2012.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I am using a Hovaboator. I live in the south and it has been humid. My humidity in the bator has been in the upper 30s through 40s throughout the dry hatch period and the plug has been out throughout.

We started lockdown Thursday afternoon (ducklings are due Sunday). One started to externally pip last night but has not made it out yet. None are rocking, but occasionally I hear a little peep.

The plug has been in and I've been adding water, but I cannot get it above 45 or so. I keep adding warmish water but it won't go up much. Just now, I removed the plug (though that seems wrong) to see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm asking you for suggestions.

I'm afraid they're going to get shrink-wrapped or drowned in the 11th hour.

2. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    To clarify, the plug was out until lockdown. Upon lockdown on Thursday afternoon, I put the plug in. Moments before writing this post, I pulled the plug out again to see what happened.

Thanks.

3. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    OKay, so my little peeped duckling has been at it for about 36 hours now and still only barely has his bill out (or something). Still peeping but seems stuck.

I put in plenty of water in the tray and also wrapped it in a wet paper towel.

Is that all right? Should I remove the paper towel or some of the water? I don't want to keep opining up the Hovabator, but I don't know what to do. Since it's bill is out, it can't be in danger of drowning, right?

And, what about the others? Could they be in danger of drowning at this late date? Since I opened up the bator to add the paper towel, I quickly candled the rest. They look inactive, but I don't know for sure.

Your thoughts?

Please help if you can. If I only get one, I want that one to make it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by