On going outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wjallen05, Feb 1, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    My house has been taken over by chickens. I have FOUR different brooders because as they get bigger they need more space so I keep dividing them up. I don't have a light on the older ones anymore (hatched on 1/7) If I put two 100 watt bulbs (one for back up incase God-forbid one were to go out during the night (because you never know) do yall think they would be ok?? I have a great place to keep them (completely draft free and preditor safe). It is 60 out there right now and usually is in the 30s at night.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Are they completely feathered yet?? It might be just a little soon!

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I think i would go with a 250 watt infared heat lamp rather than a 100 watt bulb just to be sure they are warm enough, maybe during the day you could switch it to a 100 watt bulb if the temps are in the 60's to help cut costs a bit. My house and garage is full of chickens too.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    The only place they aren't really fully featherd yet is mostly around their necks. I won't be putting the Silkies out, just the standards... which is 13 in total. They would keep eachother warm wouldn't they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by