On lockdown with first quail hatch!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pawtraitart, Feb 3, 2012.

1. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    My 50 cortunix quail eggs went on lockdown today. I hope I get a good hatch! I candled them as I added them to my hatcher incubator and they looked good, but this is my first time hatching quail. *fingers crossed* Wish me luck!

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I'm root'in for ya!! Come'n lil babies!!

I would like to hatch out some Coturnix quail sometime this year. What color will yours be? What are ya gonna use'em for? Eggs, meat, pleasure?

~ Aspen

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Congrats, cant wait to see pics

4. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    They are jumbo cortunix, the brown colored ones. Shipped eggs. Oh yes, I'm a bit nervous. LOL

I'm used to hatching chickens, ducks, and turkeys.....but these are new for me. I want to keep them for meat and eggs. The more I read about them the more I knew I simply had to have them on our farm. I'm so excited!

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Did you buy the Jumbos from Quail Lady? I am ordering some from her soon, I think she has some BIG birds, cant wait to get some jumbos, all I have are normal sized ones and they are only like 6oz

6. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    No, I got them from somebody else. I'll see how big these get. I can always make improvements down the line. I'm encouraged by how fast they mature. With my other bird breeding projects, it takes waaaaaaaaay longer. :)

7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I think thats one reason we all love Coturnix, you can "experiment" if you will, you can breed different colors and sizes and see what you get in alot shorter time than you can with chickens or other gamebirds<<< besides quail of course because they are game birds

I edited this to make sure everyone can understand that I know that Quail are gamebirds.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    HA Mo, quail are gamebirds lol. Anyway, GOODLUCK, it gets addiciting, you should get at least 50% hatch rate if everything is ok. can't wait to see some photo's

9. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Thanks for all your help Mibotsu

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  10. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    They're hatching!!! I officially have quail. Eight had already hatched out and were moving around when I got up this morning, some are still getting out of their eggs and I see more pips. Come on quail! LOL So happy. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by