? on Muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Nov 14, 2011.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Ok. So, are most Muscovies really personable and friendly? Trying to sell them to hubby. I know they are pretty big, do I need to be worried about them being in with my full grown, but small duck with one wing?
    Here is the deal. The shelter where all my ducks came from has two muscovy hens. I have one runner hen, one pekin hen, a mix breed hen (small), and one runner drake. Will the muscovies be all right to put in with that group?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Yes, they will be fine! But remember when/if you want to breed your duck, remember to take the scovy hens out so you dont end.up hatching mule ducks [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    While mine are far from lap dogs. They are still quite nice. The only problem I've had is in having 2 drakes and 2 ducks. It has really made my second drake in command a total brat. But my top drake is very calm and sweet and gentle with the girls. They even accepted my lone silkie chicken into their flock with no problems. They treat her very gently and establishing a pecking order when I brought the 2 females home could've gone almost unnoticed. They're pretty laid back.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They are amazing. I had one who followed me around even as a adult. They should be fine with your other ducks. Just DO NOT GET A MALE. You stated that you had a small female. If a adult tried to breed her he could cause serious injuries and possibly kill her. All in all the situation sounds like it would be fine as long as you get two females. Also do you plan on clipping wings? It's fairly easy but evem I was nervous the first few times.

5. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Duckgirl 89- thanks, but I don't breed. Out of the 17 pets we have, only two were not adopted from rescues or shelters. So, I don't breed anything. But good to know they should be ok.
    Kevin565-no, definitely not getting a male. But that is kind of what I was wondering. Females will often mount each other, so I was worried that Vanessa (little duck) could be hurt by another female. Will probably clip the wings, I would be upset if they flew off. My husband knows how to do it, we did it with our first pair of Blue Swedes, till we realized it wasn't necessary.
    Oh yeah, I think I read something about them roosting, will they need special accomodations? Right now the 4 we have just live in the barn in the winter and a shed in the summer (well at night anyway), and they wander around a fenced area during the day. Their free ranging privileges were revoked a while ago.
    Are the females bigger than pekins?

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    The selling point to my DH was fly control. The ducklings we hatched this year would run full out across the yard, head down, mouth open, and literally vacuum up all the flies. It's not only hillarious, it's a GREAT service those little ones provide! The bigger ducks do it too, but those little ones are way quick! He was so impressed, they're his favorites now and NOBODY messes with "his" ducks [​IMG]

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    No the females are not as LG. As the pekins.. also, they have loads of personality. I couldn't imagine being with out them now. Good luck convincing your hubby also.

8. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    My muscovies ramble with 20 geese, 3 Cayuga ducks, a Pekin duck, a Pekin drake, Chuck, the Runner/Rouen drake, a Rouen duck, a duck of unknown ancestry...they all get along fine tho they have been integrated at different ages and so forth...in the Muscovie clan there is an adult drake, two teenage ducks and 10 juveniles...a raccoon got their mother a couple of weeks ago...said raccoon was trapped and he got his ticket punched...the Muscovies are very sweet and agreeable, I don't think you will have any trouble with your new girls...

9. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i have found that it's how they are raised. i have a drake who follows me everywhere and is more like a dog than a duck. he is my best friend!! he's very photogenic too [​IMG] then i got him some girls after his mate vanished and they are very skittish because they weren't around humans.. my pekins are the same way. the man i bought them from never paid attention to them and i can't get them to let me hold them or even eat out of my hand. i did hand raise 2 mallards that will eat out of my hand but won't let me touch them. weird i know but my scovy drake lived in my bedroom with me for 7 months and he's my prince [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this was duckie's mate

[​IMG]
    and this is my favorite picture of my photogenic duck i missed the "mom is time for a silly picture" memo.

so anyway i believe it was how they are raised.

10. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. I emailed the shelter and am waiting to see if they are still available. THEN I will attempt to make hubby a strong drink and nice dinner and when he is in a food induced coma, spring it on him again. Said something once already and he pretended he did not hear me!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by