On my chicks first ever night the heat lamp died:(

BeanSprout

Chirping
May 4, 2021
I was silly and decided to test out if my chickens eggs were fertile. We have a rooster but they’re all still young and the hens just started laying so I wasn’t sure they would be.
I put 5 eggs into the incubator, 2 at the same time, 3 spread out over 5 days. Of course they all developed and yesterday was 21 for the the first two eggs. Only one hatched and the poor lil baby is so lonely. The humidity shot up and the chick wasn’t drying off, so I moved her into the brooder and it dried off quickly. The brooder was at 97, and this morning when I got up it had died and was at 77!! The poor lonely baby was freezing but still doing fine, I stuck her right back in the incubator where she’ll stay until I get a red lamp after work. Is she going to be okay? I feel so so sad for her being all alone and freezing

Attachments

• 3D6ECCE7-B2CA-41F1-A302-AFB1724D5E96.jpeg
    3D6ECCE7-B2CA-41F1-A302-AFB1724D5E96.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 29
I was silly and decided to test out if my chickens eggs were fertile. We have a rooster but they’re all still young and the hens just started laying so I wasn’t sure they would be.
I put 5 eggs into the incubator, 2 at the same time, 3 spread out over 5 days. Of course they all developed and yesterday was 21 for the the first two eggs. Only one hatched and the poor lil baby is so lonely. The humidity shot up and the chick wasn’t drying off, so I moved her into the brooder and it dried off quickly. The brooder was at 97, and this morning when I got up it had died and was at 77!! The poor lonely baby was freezing but still doing fine, I stuck her right back in the incubator where she’ll stay until I get a red lamp after work. Is she going to be okay? I feel so so sad for her being all alone and freezing

If you have any incandescent light bulbs you can use one in the heat lamp at least temporarily.

For small, indoor setups the 250w red bulbs are usually overkill.

Back
Top Bottom