On my way to town to

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck walk, Nov 12, 2010.

1. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    pick up a pair of Pekin ducks that were dumped off in a guys' front yard...he does not know how to care for them, does not want them and called me saying the words that cause the hair to raise on the back of my neck, "get rid of"...I guess it is just me but those words are like getting rid of the trash or something totally distasteful, not a living, breathing, feeling creature...I guess, as they were dumped in his yard the get rid of was played on him...animals are really suffering in this crappy economy and it is going to get worse before it gets better...we are in better shape than city dwellers who don't know how to garden or have a few chickens for eggs and such...I dread the day, if it comes, where there are food shortages...but, it seems I have two little rescue ducks...will take a photo when I get them home and settled into quarantine..

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Well, at least you understand where your food comes from. There are a lot of people out there that would starve to death if there weren't grocery stores. They don't even know how to grow a tomato plant, let alone raise a chicken. My kids were watching a cartoon the other day and I over heard the characters talking about where a certain food came from. Another one mentioned steak and they said "Steak comes from the grocery store." I'm pretty sure they never stated in there that it comes from a cow.

3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    Well, we are home...they are Jumbo Pekins, a boy and a girl, full grown...not in too bad a shape...mainly just a little dirty and hungry...they could not wait to get into the water...I gave them a sampler tray of food to see what they recognized and liked best...laying crumbles, cracked corn, oat meal, and alfalfa pellets...in this order, cracked corn, laying crumbles, oat meal, alfalfa pellets...they cleaned up everything I gave them so I restocked their feeder with the top two choices...they are just big, silly Pekins...the girl of course, is very loud and opinionated...I can see where, in town, her loud duckness might be a problem with non duck loving neigbors...

I have lost my mind and have started naming my newer ducks after Twilight characters...my five muscovies are, Carlisle, Esme, Alice, Rosalee and Victoria...so these two will be Felix and Jane...

Can't wait for the 12-4 release of Eclipse on DVD and Direct TV PPV...

I ramble...I live my two new rescue Jumbo Pekins!!!!!!

Pics later when they settle down and I have a moment...

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I luv these kind of stories..wtih the Happy ending.[​IMG]

PS I also like Twilight... [​IMG]

5. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    We rescued a crested pekin duck back in july from the park.. She was LOUD let me tell you.. she has since quieted down and is now running with Stalnley and Daisy.. and hardley ever quacks .. Daisy on the other hand quacks a little more. Daisy and Stanley come looking for judy when she doesnt' follow them.. They still chase her a little. but now like it was.. Hope fully your little lady will queit down after she gets used to her new home.

6. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I'm so glad they found a good home. It sounds like they will be well fed too. One of my runner females is pretty loud. It is just at certain times though. She hears me get up in the morning and when I come home from work. She lets me know it is food time and I better get out there fast. Then she quits once she has been fed. : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by