On our way to a happy chicken haven!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newbiechic, Mar 20, 2013.

1. newbiechic

newbiechic New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Gainesville, FL
    This weekend was a big one for my 8 year old boy/girl twins. They have been asking for chicks every spring for about the last 4 years! This weekend my husband of 16 years gave in! So, I am now madly trying to learn all I can to make this happen. I did tell then kids that we won't be getting any until we have a coop built. So, I am here to learn about building coops, breeds of hens and hopefully all the main details to get this project going!

2. smudge

smudge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    How many? How old? I've been on the fence for several years too. (My 7 year old has also been nagging - specifically for chickens that would color-coordinate with her hair, LOL. I've explained to her that the Rhode Island Reds don't have the same coloring when they grow up...)

I've seen a lot of cool ideas on here - it's helped me to stop hyperventilating at the idea of getting everything together.

3. newbiechic

newbiechic New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Gainesville, FL
    We are planning to get 6. One for each member of our family to name and "have as theirs." We live very close to the local feed and seed store. We'll probably get them from there. I don't know how old they will be or what breeds they will have. I do know when we went to look yesterday they were SO cute and fluffy. Even I got sucked in!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, newbiechic, and [​IMG] Pleased you joined us and that you are getting some chickens! You'll soon be asking yourself, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" BYC is one stop shopping for information to get you off on the right foot. Here are a few links in case you haven't visited them yet. Good luck and have a ball!

The Learning Center gives you in the ins and outs of poultry care and maintenance:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

The Raising Baby Chicks forum is a Q & A but reading the old threads is a super way to learn:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

The Coops thread will give you ideas on the style/design you want:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by