On Parole

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Adopted Chickenman, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    [​IMG] I've got a question. Next Monday (8-16-10) my new set of chicks will turn three weeks old and I was wondering if I could parole them from their brooder and take them out side for fresh air and natural sunlight? My wife says that they are still to young but I believe that since the weather has been sunny and in the 90's it would be ok. After all, mama chickens let out their young to teach, feed, and exercise at a very early age. Since they are little speed demons, I would place them in a small caged area and I would be be with them during the entire time. Also I would let out my pullets during their noramal semi free range time but keep them separated; sort of an introduction. Any thoughts on the matter?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I think it would be fine. The sunlight and air will be good for them, and as long as the temps are in the 90's, they'll be fine.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I brought mine out at a week old. Just keep them out of direct sunlight, as they seem not to like it. As for letting your flock out to free range, just keep an eye on them. I found that my older ones like to "goose" the babies through the holes in the fencing. Good luck!

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    My mama hen has had hers out on day 2. Course she was there to warm them up and protect them, but once they have any feathers, get them outside. Make sure they have water and shade. I think you might have more trouble with too much heat, not enough.

MrsK

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I hatch my own chicks. I keep them in a tub brooder in the house 1 week-10days. I probably should just brood them entirely in the brooder house like we did when I was a kid, but I like to watch my babies. After a week they start eating to much and start getting stinky.

Then they go into their own brooder house, it has a tractor of its own that I put next to it. When they go outside they get locked in for a day or 2, then I open the poop door and let them into the tractor run. They soon learn that they can stand in the poop door and breath fresh air. Sooner or later someone pushes someone out the door and the first thing you know they are investigating their expanded world. I tractor them around to grassy areas of the yard as they grow, so they can scratch for bug and eat grass, I coarse grind seeds and toss it in the gras. When they are big enough not to crawl under the fence and go into the neighbor field, then I move out the tractor and they get to investigate their own Brooder House Run. THey will stay there or move on to a grow out house until they are at Point of Lay.

Fresh air keeps them healthy, why haven't you brought them outside yet? Little excursions are good for them. Make sure you bring their food and water for their daily excursions. They will also need a shady area to stay out of the sun if need be.

Chicks can take a lot of heat, more so than hens. Mine are now 5 weeks old and have not been phased by 108 degree heat index for more than a week.

Enjoy your chicks, I do 4 times a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by