? on rabbit breed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dipence71, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    I received a very large doe today that was told was a California. BUT.....well you tell me.

She is white with grey black broken spots here and there and brownish eyes.
    I have a feeling she is a large mix breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't California's have red eyes???

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I think you are right, and she's a mix. Californians have white fur all over, except on the ears, nose, feet and tail. And yes, they have red eyes (as do all rabbits with the Cali/Himi/Pointed White pattern). That rabbit is displaying the broken pattern, something that is never seen in purebred Californians.

3. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Thank you. She is pretty sweet so far. Just got her this afternoon. I had her out of the cage a little bit ago and clipped her front nails as they were WAYYYY long and started curving out. She seems pretty mellow. She let my 12 yo DD pick her up and carry her around.

My plan is to breed her with my large buck(not as large as her though lol) and have meat rabbits. Being a larger breed I think this will work pretty well.

She is use to being a house pet but I am planning to wean her to the outside with our other rabbits. But not till it cools off a bit here. It has been 100+with the humidity. So maybe tomorrow I will take her out for a bit in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by