? on shipped eggs resting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiki244, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have searched and cnat find-Ive heard you are supposed to rest your shipped eggs before you put into incubator? I am supposed to get some eggs tommorrow and am wondering more about this. If anyone could help I would appreciate, I cant find a thread on this.

2. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    I just received my first shipment, I am letting them settle 24 hrs. I have seen that recommended many times...Big end up.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When you receive your shipped eggs...unpack them, carefully look for any signs of a crack or hairline crack...those are discarded ....Let your eggs 'rest" in an egg carton big end up for anywhere from 6 to 24 hours..I've done anywhere between those time limits...this is so they can warm up to room temps and for the air sacs to settle....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    You do not have to wait 24 hours...

The main issue is that they are at room tempature befor putting them in the bator.

8 hours is good if its been long enough you can put them in when you go to bed or even first thing in the morning...

Eggs should be resting on their sides in a natural position.
    I lay mine on there sides in a pie dish with a soft wash cloth.
    OR
    big end up in a egg carton...

5. ae50mag

ae50mag Chillin' With My Peeps

kris,

let me know when you get you eggs and the condition of the box, usps is heck on them lately... please drop a pm to me and advise....

frank/ae50mag

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I've always heard you should let them "rest" for 24 hours. Even if this "rest period" isn't necessary I don't see how it could hurt?

7. [​IMG] How could it help? The eggs aren't getting any younger.
    I think 6- 8 hrs is sufficient.
    I've read that 'resting' is also to let the air cell re-orient, but my experience has been that if the air cell is has been jostled out-of-whack, the egg won't hatch (I've heard of folks hatching them, tho).

Lisa

8. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    don't know but
    google it it always helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by