? on shipped eggs resting

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I have searched and cnat find-Ive heard you are supposed to rest your shipped eggs before you put into incubator? I am supposed to get some eggs tommorrow and am wondering more about this. If anyone could help I would appreciate, I cant find a thread on this.

When you receive your shipped eggs...unpack them, carefully look for any signs of a crack or hairline crack...those are discarded ....Let your eggs 'rest" in an egg carton big end up for anywhere from 6 to 24 hours..I've done anywhere between those time limits...this is so they can warm up to room temps and for the air sacs to settle....

Last edited:
You do not have to wait 24 hours...

The main issue is that they are at room tempature befor putting them in the bator.

8 hours is good if its been long enough you can put them in when you go to bed or even first thing in the morning...

Eggs should be resting on their sides in a natural position.
I lay mine on there sides in a pie dish with a soft wash cloth.
OR
big end up in a egg carton...

I've always heard you should let them "rest" for 24 hours. Even if this "rest period" isn't necessary I don't see how it could hurt?

smile.png
How could it help? The eggs aren't getting any younger.
I think 6- 8 hrs is sufficient.
I've read that 'resting' is also to let the air cell re-orient, but my experience has been that if the air cell is has been jostled out-of-whack, the egg won't hatch (I've heard of folks hatching them, tho).

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom