On the back of the feed bag!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WestVermont, Dec 31, 2012.

1. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    On the back of the feed bag it states stages starter, grower, breeding, laying.... I was wondering what it meant by breeding as I thought they where always breeding?

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Bennington, Hinesburg here. =) Yeah, that is strange. What brand of feed is it? It would seem to me that breeding and laying would be the same? Maybe someone else has some more insight/knowledge on this...

3. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    I remember seeing that chart on the back of Starter/Grower. I think the packaging is indicating that Breeding/Laying are the same thing?

4. WestVermont

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    DuMORĀ® Poultry Grower/Finisher from Tractor Supply. I have a size-able first flock (26) and buy 50 lb bags.

5. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Maybe the breeding one is for breeds that dont lay much, youd only use their few eggs to hatch?

6. countrygoddess

I don't think that would make any difference, really. I've never heard of feeds formulated based on whether you're going to eat or hatch the eggs. You know what you could do, Bennington, is call the manufacturer and ask for an explanation. If you do, post what they said--my curiosity is piqued!

7. countrygoddess

I just looked at the TS website and their line of DuMor feeds and they don't have a feed that specifies "breeder" or "breeding". I have a sneaking suspicion there was a typo on that bag and it should have read "breeder/layer".

8. WestVermont

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    The information I refer to is on the back of the bag where it tells you at what ages to switch feed types.... I just found it odd that it was on there as if it was a stage a chicken had to have even though not every flock has a rooster....lol. I guess it is just one of those things like coffee saying it maybe hot or plastic bags labeled keep away from small children.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

When we know we are within a month of actually saving the eggs for hatching, as opposed to merely eating them, we like to increase the proteins and fats just a bit. We're also suspect of high calcium levels and rooster fertility. We also wish to maximize embryo viability. There is a lot of literature on the dietary needs of parent stock as opposed to merely birds producing table eggs.

Typically, birds come out of moult in early winter and hatching begins in late winter. It is that period during which we are most concerned about these issues. Since this co-incides with the inability to free range, due to snow and a frozen environment, it just makes sense to up the feed quality from November through April.

1 person likes this.
  10. WestVermont

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Thank you this helps a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by