1. kjens2014

kjens2014 In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    Clarksville TN
    I am on the hunt for good coop ideas, photos, supplies, and advice.

They are building a house across the street so I am taking advantage of every bit of lumber they decide to toss in their scrap pile!!!

I'm currently downloading a free CAD software to try to help me really formulate an idea on how I actually want to build my coop and run.

Anything prefab you can buy, IMHO, is junk, unless you pay through the nose for something custom built.

My generalized coop idea will be a 4x8 coop, with an attached 12x8 run. completely sheltered overhead.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
  3. kjens2014

kjens2014 In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    Clarksville TN
    Its not really asking specific questions.....its more putting the image in my head onto paper. This was more of the "lesson learned" or "hindsight is 20/20" type thing.

I ditched the CAD software. Too difficult for my brain to follow without instructions. Going old school....paper and pencil.

cavemanrich likes this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Build big! A Woods coop is wonderful; second is a walk-in shed, modified as a coop. Least expensive is a cattle panel hoop coop, built predator proof.
    If you are limited by law to a few hens, that's one thing. If you can have however many you want, 'chicken math' will strike, and you will likely have MANY in no time!
    Mary

5. kjens2014

kjens2014 In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    Clarksville TN
    I am "limited", but our city is somewhat lax on keeping up with people and their birds. Right now the design plan is a 6x8 coop with an attached 8x16 run, also utilizing the space underneath the coop for additional shade/run space.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If you have enough yard space, have a walk-in coop rather than that 'under the coop' space. How will you get under there? Cleaning, getting eggs, critters, chickens, dead critters, whatever. Have shade some other way!!!
    Mary

cavemanrich likes this.
  7. jreardon1918

jreardon1918 Songster

Jul 13, 2016
    Southeast, MA
    My Coop
    If you are sold on 4x8 take a look at my coop article. I tried to tell what is working and what I would change. I would mention, this coop size will limit you to about 8 full size chickens.

8. kjens2014

kjens2014 In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    Clarksville TN
    I have yard space but not a whole lot of shade space, due to having to remove some trees from the property last year that were dead and in danger of falling. Elevating the coop at this point is an option. its not set in stone yet.

9. sfgwife

sfgwife Crowing

May 19, 2017
    North Cakalaki
    That sure will be small when chick maths come into play. :lau:gig:oops:. Hubby made our like a tiny house. :idunno. Brother kept tellin mister what amenities he needed add for him... like wrap round covered porch, pot belly stove, camper style toilet sink combo.... yea... it was bad. Lol!

10. sfgwife

sfgwife Crowing

May 19, 2017
    North Cakalaki

Hahaha i posted before readin through. Oops. Yep. Chicken maths!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: