On the list for show rats!~!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by L&Schickens, Aug 25, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I can't believe I am going to pay money for rats, but I am.
    I am on the list for a Siamese rex and a Blue rex both females. They were born yesterday. I will post pictures as soon as I get some. The breeder said she will send me some pictures. I met her at the pet store while looking at pet rats for my son. Nothing there seemed interesting so she told me about hers! Yeah! (I think [​IMG] )

2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Congrats! Rats make great pets [​IMG]
    I'm so glad you didnt get them from a petstore. I've been a rat breeder for 4 years and an owner for much longer, if you have any questions, I'll help you as best as I can.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Soooooo much better to buy from a breeder. I too have owned rats in the past and in fact bred them for a little while. I currently do not have any but wish I did. They are wonderful pets! Ooooo, a blue and siamese rex! So pretty, not necessarily the softest fun but they are so cute and funny looking! I hope you have a great time with them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Rats are a way better pet for kids than hamsters and gerbils. I used to have 23 rats..yepp 23. All had names, all were very special to me!! Some would even come when I called them if I had them out for a romp around the room. One was so spoiled that she would only eat treats off a spoon, she especially liked yogurt!
    I agree, rats from a breeder are a good choice and most times breeders have a nice slection of colors!!

Good luck and I hope you post pics!!!

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Rats make amazing pets!

I've also gotten mine from rescue situations, (you can see a picture of some of my rattie butts on my "other pets page")

They can be such wonderful pets if properly socialized. My rat Ringo used to come when called haha

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Getting them from a good breeder is the way to go, not only will they be healthier and better socialized, but they come in much neater varieties! I used to have many fancy rats, including blue dumbo rexes, ect, I currently don't have any but will probably get another female pair in a while, I miss them. They are fantastic pets.

7. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Congratulations to you and the girls! [​IMG]

I have 16 right now ...6 boys and 10 girls ..Himilayans, Black and Agouti Berks.. couple Hoodies ..some Blazes ..and a Nekkid! Oh.. and one that is tricolor (Andre is an Agouti with fawn and beige markings on his shoulders... it never moulted away)

Rats are excellent pets, as everyone has mentioned ..I LOVE my babies ....and they are very, very rotten! They all come to their names, all potty trained, all hammock lovers, all of them follow simple commands ...very smart "kids" ..even the ones I rescued as adults [​IMG]

(And no! I do not feed my reptiles LIVE anything! ..just in case you were wondering... I am a huge advocate for frozen/thawed [​IMG] )

8. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Yeah! I can't wait to get them. She said they would be ready in 5 to 6 weeks. That gives me time to get the cage set up. Ir is an old bird cage/ferret cage. I will start getting toys together and stuff soon.
    What kind of littler should I use?

9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

L&Schickens :

Yeah! I can't wait to get them. She said they would be ready in 5 to 6 weeks. That gives me time to get the cage set up. Ir is an old bird cage/ferret cage. I will start getting toys together and stuff soon.
    What kind of littler should I use?

I use the recycled paper pulp, CareFresh. It's the best. Probably most expensive, but really helps the smell and mess.​

10. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    If you are going to try and potty train them, use Yesterday's News in the potty pan ..it has worked wonders for my crew!

If you use litter for the entire cage liner, Ultra Carefresh is my favorite ..for mentioned reasons by Kanchii ...but please be sure to freeze it for 48 hours prior to use, so you can be absolutely certain that no mites have traveled with the paper (it happens all the time).

I don't use litter in the cage liner ...I prefer fleece liners on the shelves and bottom, so they don't mistake potty pan for EVERYWHERE!! ..and also cuz I can wash a load of rattie laundry for cheaper than I can run to the store and get a bag of Carefresh ($4.50/g of gas ...$28+ for Carefresh.. or a little soap and water with electric [​IMG] )

I also ration the lab blocks, to prevent waste ...from them stashing them in their beds and hidey spots ..then going peepee on them during slumber (yes, some of my girls still pee the bed ..LOL ). They get 7 Mazuri or Harlan Teklad blocks PER rattie kid ..and salads, hot cereal, "biscuits" and fruit pieces throughout the day. (I used to free range them on Suebee's recipe ..even my own modified version of it... but I ended up with OBESE ratties and have since narrowed that down to occasional treats. No more big bowl of cereals, nuts, seeds and dried fruits to eat at leisure)

Good luck with your girls! Ratties are sooo much fun! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by