On the nature of a Lion and other such creatures

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TM Chickens, Jun 7, 2011.

1. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    As some of you might already know, Apple gave a peak yesterday into their new operating system, OS X Lion. Summary of the new stuff. It's looking pretty awesome. (Take that, Microsoft!)

However, as I was scanning the impressive list of new features...

* Overlay scrollbars
    * App store
    * Mission Control
    * Simpler app launcher
    * Conversation threads in Mail 5
    * iCloud file sync
    * Full-screen apps

... I couldn't help but notice something. All of this stuff sounded familiar!

Ubuntu got overlay scrollbars a few months ago. We've had the Ubuntu Software Centre since April 2009. And this looks mighty similar to Mission Control, no? And as for a better app launcher... The default email client in Ubuntu has had conversation threads for a while now. The iCloud file sync is pretty much a duplicate of Ubuntu One, which was introduced in Ubuntu over a year ago. And full-screen apps? Ubuntu has had those ever since the beginning.

Simply put, Ubuntu is the best, most advanced operating system around. Try it out today! [​IMG]

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Nice advertisement, TM. [​IMG]

GASP! Did you just insult Microsoft?! [​IMG] (My stepdad used to work for them. [​IMG] And therefore in our house, Apple is a swear word.)

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    yer just figuring out apple is basing their OS on ubuntu lol [​IMG]

The new Chrome Netbooks (google os) is based on debian ubuntu also... so are many smart devices

Linux for life [​IMG] Cept when you have to run microsoft products that wine doesn't like [​IMG]

4. TM Chickens

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Quote:Microsoft's father was bloat and it's mother smelt of NIH syndrome (NIH == not invented here). I throw Apples in its general direction! I collect it into CUPS and smash it with a ton of Chrome! I send it on a Safari to be eaten by the Firefoxes!

[​IMG]

Oh well, as long as he didn't work on the IE team I forgive you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. TM Chickens

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Quote:*Sings to the tune of I like molasses* "That's why I like web apps best of all! Best of all!"

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

No, he was just general tech support, I believe. Though this was forever ago, so I could be wrong. [​IMG] Here's the funny part: We use FireFox and I like it way better than any other.

7. jsabean

jsabean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2010
    Annapolis Valley, NS
    [​IMG]

Nuff said.

8. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Quote:What operating system is that? I personally am a fan of microsoft and all pc things out there. MAC would be nice but they feel as if there merchandise is worth more than it actually is. But i am a gamer and the mac life is not the life for me.

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Microsoft's father was bloat and it's mother smelt of NIH syndrome (NIH == not invented here). I throw Apples in its general direction! I collect it into CUPS and smash it with a ton of Chrome! I send it on a Safari to be eaten by the Firefoxes!

[​IMG]

Quote:What operating system is that? I personally am a fan of microsoft and all pc things out there. MAC would be nice but they feel as if there merchandise is worth more than it actually is. But i am a gamer and the mac life is not the life for me.

Looks like Ubuntu to my somewhat educated eye.

I like Lubuntu better than Kubuntu (the ultimate slow Linux thingummy, as far as I can tell), but Ubuntu is okay too. [​IMG]
    ...Maybe someday I'll use something a bit less mouse clicky, but not yet. [​IMG]

10. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:ah, it's never too early for Monty Python [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by