On the nest...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WA23, Nov 27, 2008.

1. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    but not laying eggs. Will a chicken still go to her usual nest and sit even on her "days off"?

2. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    My girls will do this, even during moult when none of them are laying. I figure it's just a nice social activity that they enjoy, where they can go sit in private and have a bit of a gossip [​IMG]

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Do you know for a fact she didnt lay ?

4. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Quote:Do you know for a fact she didnt lay ?

Yes, I know she did not lay because I only have two layer right now and I can account for the other one.

I am on day 5 of no eggs from her. I am a little concerned now.

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Do you have any light in your coop ?? Do they get 14 hours a day of light ?? During the winter months chickens often tend to stop/slow down in the laying dept cause the lack of light !!

Is she showing any signs of being egg bound ? Is she keeping her rear close to the ground ?

How's her eating, drinking, pooping ??

Another thing to think about, she could be a egg eater... Laying an egg and then eating it. Chickens are good at keeping that a secret !!

6. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    Quote:Yes, I light my coop so they get 16 hours of light a day.
    She does not appear to be egg bound. No unusual actions on her part except for three mornings ago, she would not shut up. At 4 am she was making the LOUDEST squacking sound for about an hour straight. She stopped when I turned out the lights.

As far a keeping her but to the ground, I am not sure. I would have to say no as I have not seen her acting out of the ordinary.

Eating: she is doing very fine in that department. I am not too sure of the pooping either as she in mixed with the others and I have not specifically looked for her to poop. I will try when I get time tomorrow.

Eating her egg? I think not unless she eats very fast. For the past several days I have checked on her every 1/2 hour to see what she is up to. I will see her on the nest for about 15 min in the morning, and then she is off doing other things (eating). How long does it take to eat an egg? She has been a consistant layer until about 5 days ago.

7. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    She might be going into the molt. This is normal. Give her time.

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:She might be broody , or the beginning stages of the broody cycle

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Yes, I light my coop so they get 16 hours of light a day.
    She does not appear to be egg bound. No unusual actions on her part except for three mornings ago, she would not shut up. At 4 am she was making the LOUDEST squacking sound for about an hour straight. She stopped when I turned out the lights.

As far a keeping her but to the ground, I am not sure. I would have to say no as I have not seen her acting out of the ordinary.

Eating: she is doing very fine in that department. I am not too sure of the pooping either as she in mixed with the others and I have not specifically looked for her to poop. I will try when I get time tomorrow.

Eating her egg? I think not unless she eats very fast. For the past several days I have checked on her every 1/2 hour to see what she is up to. I will see her on the nest for about 15 min in the morning, and then she is off doing other things (eating). How long does it take to eat an egg? She has been a consistant layer until about 5 days ago.

Dont think it would take a chicken all that long to eat and egg, I'd guess a min !!! Like jhm47 said she could very well be going thought molt !! And from what you said there seems to be nothing medialy wrong. How old is she ? You have them on layer pellets/mash right ?

ETA: What breed is she ??

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    TRUST ME, no question about it IF a hen is moulting , YOU WILL KNOW IT ......

You will walk into the coop and ALL you will see is coop full of feathers .....

SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS OR TRYING TO BECOME BROODY

My last broody hung around the nest most of the day for about 3 days . She would get in for about 1 or 2 hours , then HOP OFF , and later do it again . about the 3 or 4th. day , SHE REMAINED ON THE NEST .

I removed HER , HER NEST , and put 6 fertile eggs under her in a 6 ft. cage with plenty food and water inside .

21 days later I had 6 beautiful chicks ....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by