1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

On the Spots 'fire sale' eggs pipping and peeping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cracking up, Sep 17, 2009.

1. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I set these eggs on a Saturday kind of late so I was going to lock down today but I heard pretty loud peeping from one of the incubators. The humidity is way too low for lockdown and at first I thought it was just one egg, but it's at least three.

I really need advice on what to do now. Two BCMs are pipped real low and one green egg has a good pip where it belongs. My temps must be too high?

Aggh--Help!

2. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    do what you must to get the humidity level up quickly. remember it is surface area that raises humidity...not depth of water in a container...so better to drop a few wet sponges inside quickly or wet wash cloths...anything wet.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    sponge, run get a sponge! [​IMG] BCM's need high humidity to hatch! get it up to 70%

4. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Thanks so much. I was really wondering if I could open the incubator but I think you're right. I have to. OK I sneaked in a sponge and the humidity is up to 53%. Is that high enough or should I put in another one?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

you need higher humidity.

make the sponge absorb warm water and you can see the humidity bump until 80% in minute.

6. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Thanks, I put water in the wells and it got too high for a minute so I took out the sponge - it's around 80%. Hope I didn't already ruin everything. These eggs have been great. They always candled real well and they're beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by