1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

On the subject of cats

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magsrags, Nov 24, 2008.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Are cats generally a threat to adult chickens?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    No, not unless completely starving, then they might attack an adult chicken, only to have the snot beat out of then.

Young chicks would be a different story.

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    For me, I have had no problems with any of the cats bothering my grown chickens at all. We have quite a few outdoor cats around here, but not even "George," the young neighborhood huntress, does not bother them in the least~~so far anyway! [​IMG]

4. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Phew, good news for me then. That's a squabble I'd like to witness first hand. [​IMG]
    I have "passing through" kinda cats on a regular basis, but they are well fed neighborhood pets. Chances are they don't want to work too hard for a meal.

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

My neighbors barn cats come over and get cozy in the coop with the chickens at night. They never try to bother them. When they are all out free ranging, the cat walks right by them and they don't even move. [​IMG] I guess they have an understanding...

6. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I have two adult cats, they just walk by.

My three month old kitten has been with the older chickens, and is just a pest. But she wanted to see the new chicks, and it worried me as they were just in a box.

But we built a screened brooder, and now that she knows what they are, she ignores them. They are in the dining room, lol, we never use that room. She lays there and watches chick TV.

Cheri

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I must have the world's only truly vicious cat. Even my 12 lb. roo is scared to death of her. [​IMG]
    Maybe the chickens saw her drag home that rat that was so big most of it's body was dragging behind her.
    She'll never be trusted around my chickens, no matter how big they get.

8. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    We have one of the meanest cats I have ever seen. She even goes out of her way to jump on my black lab. I've seen her fight, and win, with two big dogs at one time. And, her name is Baby of all things...go figure.

I've seen her kill many wild birds. I was so worried that she would attack my chickens when they are free ranging. But, she just ignores them. Walks right by like they're not even there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by