1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

On the Today show right now . . .teen in Florida set on fire!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Whispering Winds, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

The lawyer for the accused (one of them) said this is a tragedy, but she is pleading NOT guilty. The victim called the police and told them these 5 classmates were trying to steal his dad's bike. I guess they got mad, and set him on fire, burning him over 80% of his body. What are our kids coming too????? He still is in very serious condition, and the doctor said he hasn't "went into the woods yet, to come out of the woods" if you know what he was trying to say. He has a long way to go. The mother is pleading for this type of behavior to stop, our children are our future, and we all need to work together to stop this insanity. Such a sad sad story.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

This was on CNN yesterday and just broke my heart.

All of this over a 40$ video game....

The offenders in this situation should be tried as adults and given the harshest sentence available. The victim will never be the same and is facing months, if not years of pain, grafts, infections and surgeries....

My heart goes out to him as do my prayers.

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I do believe they have the death penalty there so................. they wanna play as adults, ride the lightening.

4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I read about that yesterday.

That is just awful!
    Could you imagine burning!?

How could anyone do that to another person?!!!!!!!
    We are all humans here!

Im starting to doubt our species more and more day by day.. [​IMG]

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You know Boyd, I think you may be right. I am a staunch believer in the death penalty, I read too many true life murder mystery books not too. If we don't start doing something dramatic and horrific back to these offenders, where is it going to stop. I am so sick of these lawyers who jump on the bandwagon defending these sicko's. What really gets to me, is that out of FIVE of these boys, it appears not ONE of them had a conscience about doing this to this kid . . .no forethought whatsoever. Who spawned these devils? The parents need to be brought up on charges as well.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Whispering Winds...I wonder if this was sort of a 'mob mentality' situation where one 'spawn' had the idea and then it just went crazy from there.

This may be a case where some of the participants were egged on and would have never done this in any other situation.

I am NOT saying that they dont all deserve the severest punishment available, I am just curious about how an argument over 40$ becomes a life or death situation for a handful of young people.

And, regardless of how it came about....how do we (society) prevent it from happening again? What goes wrong and why?

I guess I am just trying to make sense out of the whole ugly situation...

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I've lived near Flint MI most of my life... the murder capitol of the USA off and on for many years. Many of those convicted of violent crime, rape, assault, murder hardly ever do the minimum sentence set forth by the judges.

Shoot, If I were to go out in the city and shoot a human then shoot a dog, I would do more time for killing the dog than the murder charge.....

My solution is easy.... Let the Feds prosecute because the Federal Death Penalty can happen in any state me thinks. That way they will not repeat, teach the newer inmates the in's and out's of law and how to avoid it, and breathe the good clean air that I think is better used elsewhere.

Mob mentality or not, they crossed a line that should never be crossed.

8. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I think that humans have the capacity for wonderful, selfless acts but also for deep cruelty. It is a choice.

People want to blame video games, movies or music. The frightening truth is that we have always had the capacity for violence. Read history or do a search on past true crimes. The difference is that we are shocked by such atrocities and that says something positive about our time period.

I have found that with my own children speaking to them about what is noble does help. Kids will live down to their parents' expectations. So, if your view is that all kids do A, B or C that is what your kids will do. If you have high expectations, even if your child falls short, they will only fall short by so much because their own goals are high. I am not speaking about good grades or getting into a prestigous college but the expectation that your child will stick up for the little person, be honest and polite.

Perhaps the attackers never had anyone that believed that they could be noble.

By the way, by noble, I don't mean good. A good person doesn't make fun of others, a noble person steps in and stops others from being cruel. See the difference?

9. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Yes Boyd..Fl does still have the death penalty..(my dh retired from Union C I-death row) they do have a pretty stiff juvenile justice system..will be interesting to see how these kids are tried..sad state the future of this country is in!!!

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.......... this disgusts me! no-one and I don't care who they are, what or how they have/do live/or where brought up to have the lack of human feeling/emotion/respect or whatever pathetic excuse they come up with... to be capable of setting another human being on fire.... take the consequences of what the law dishes out to you..... am getting off my soap box because the thought is this makes me sick.............. I lost a family member to the stupity of another person to fire... be thankful perps that I am not on the jury!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by