After reading a couple posts and responses, I tweaked my brooder by building a wire framed floor. It works great. I made a 2X4 frame (two manageable sections and stretched the chicken wire over the top. I put a layer of aspen shavings underneath on the linoleum covered floor (makes clean up a snap). They were tentantive waking on it at first (they are 18 days old now) but are perfectly fine. I also added more perching space. I was concerned about them contracting the dreaded cocci. I am watching one of my chicks poop though. It is slightly runny but still the same general color as the rest of the girls. She seems to eat and drink like all the rest also.