? on turning eggs in carton hatching method

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sue3, Apr 19, 2008.

1. sue3

sue3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    I have been reading some past posts about hatching eggs in the carton method and how one can rotate propping up the ends of the carton to turn the eggs. Has anyone instead just propped up the incubator itself to rotate the eggs? Any other methods used to rotate eggs? This egg carton method sounds very interesting to try. Also if you used a store bought used egg carton for your eggs did you sterilize it first and if so how?

2. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    Well....I am trying propping up the whole incubator this go around. Mind you I am only on day 2....! I have placed a piece of wood under one end and just keep moving it around from side to side.

My relative humidity in the house is quite high so I do not have to add much water to my incubator in order for the humidity to be correct...if I had to add water to the bottom I think tilting the bator wouldn't work as it would run all over and out the ventilation holes around the bottom.

If my humidity drops below 40%, then I just add a little container of water to one corner rather than to the trays. Usually I don't have to do this as I live in the land of melting snow, ferns, moss and cedar trees [​IMG]

3. newdock

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    P.S. My eggs are in cartons. I cut the bottoms out of them and used cardboard ones. I picked clean ones, but didn't worry about sterilizing them (I'm not sure how one would do that anyway.....).

4. sue3

sue3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    I wonder if microwaving a cardboard egg carton would work to sterilize it?

5. newdock

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    It might...just watch that it doesn't start on fire [​IMG]

6. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    nooooo cardboard will cath on fire
    not that i know from experience [​IMG][/img]

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    If you have a still air, you might get problems with tilting the end of the bator up. I tried this, and noticed that there was a cold sink at the end that was down, and a hot air pocket on the top end. I quit doing it after a few days. I switched to using a chunk of wood-I only had to open the bator for a second and it didn't cause the same issues.

8. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I use cartons in my bator to turn and hatch in, i just set the side of the carton on the side of the bator, then the rest of the cartons stack accross the bator. i keep coffee cups of water in there for humidity, so tilting the bator would not work.

open bator, tilt first one then the rest, usually less than 2 mins open.

chickhamm
    Theressa
    GA

9. sue3

sue3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    Thank you for all of your replies to my questions. They are very helpful!

10. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I layed all my eggs at angles sort of on top of the carton. so what y'all are sayin is just put them in the carton and tilt the cartons? that sounds alot easier than rolling over each egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by