On turning eggs prior to incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingbear, Sep 8, 2009.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I just keep mine in a carton, small end down. I don't turn them at all, prior to incubation. I candle eggs before I set them, checking air cells, looking for micro-cracks, etc. I've never seen a yolk get stuck to the shell, when kept small end down.

I use an auto turner, but before I got it, I did just turn by hand, a half-turn each time, 3-5 times a day. I'm sure they do need to be turned while incubating, not only to prevent the embryo from getting stuck to the shell, but to exercise the embryos. The movement stimulates them to move around more, so they grow nice and strong.

I question the need to turn eggs prior to setting them. It won't hurt them to be turned, but it just seems like one more thing for already busy people to needlessly worry themselves over, and another handling step, keeping in mind that the more often you handle your eggs, and move them around, they more chances you have to drop, knock over, or otherwise break or damage them.

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I don't turn my eggs that are waiting to go into the 'bator either.
    In April, I hatched an egg that was left in a bucket on the stairs to my basement (forgotten) for 2 weeks.
    The pullet hatched on day 20 and is doing fine.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I turn mine but I use a LG turner to do it. That way people know not to eat those eggs, there special.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by