1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

On vacation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PoultryGirly, Apr 3, 2012.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Songster

Mar 28, 2012
    Do I have to get a "chicken sitter" when I go on vacation to feed my chickens and ducks? At the most, vacation will be a week. Can I just buy one of those savagecakes at mcmurrayhatchery.com and leave it in there run? Do I just fill their food bucket to the top with food???

2. 10thmuse

10thmuse In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Hi!

I always get a sitter.
    Then again, I have 25 chickens!

My reasons not to leave them alone;
    Eggs
    Food
    security

My girls can go through a full big feeder in 7 days or in 4 depending upon the week.
    I imagine that the feeder + a block would make them running out of food pretty unlikely, but I wouldn't risk it!

I also have a 50 gallon auto watering system.
    1 3 nipple outdoors and another 3 nipple in the coop, so water is always available.

Man I would have a mountain of eggs if I didn't gather for a week!!!

-K

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If I only had chickens, I would just top off the food and water if I were leaving for a few days. For more than 4 (my personal comfort zone), I'd have someone come check on them every 2 days or so. They're really self suffecient if you have a decent set up.

4. carladababe

carladababe Songster

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I would be more concerned about the water, my chickens make a mess even with the container raised. That being said, I am planning a road trip to see my Dad taking the dogs and the cats with but my 10 chickens have to stay home with a sitter. I want my chickens to be seen daily, I'll pay and they can have all the eggs. I'm buying a 7 gallon water container to go along with the two 1 gallon water containers we use now. You can only fill the feeders so full. So I have to use a friend/sitter. I'm sure I'll worry like a Mother hen.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by