On vacation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PoultryGirly, Apr 3, 2012.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Do I have to get a "chicken sitter" when I go on vacation to feed my chickens and ducks? At the most, vacation will be a week. Can I just buy one of those savagecakes at mcmurrayhatchery.com and leave it in there run? Do I just fill their food bucket to the top with food???

2. 10thmuse

10thmuse Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Hi!

I always get a sitter.
    Then again, I have 25 chickens!

My reasons not to leave them alone;
    Eggs
    Food
    security

My girls can go through a full big feeder in 7 days or in 4 depending upon the week.
    I imagine that the feeder + a block would make them running out of food pretty unlikely, but I wouldn't risk it!

I also have a 50 gallon auto watering system.
    1 3 nipple outdoors and another 3 nipple in the coop, so water is always available.

Man I would have a mountain of eggs if I didn't gather for a week!!!

-K

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If I only had chickens, I would just top off the food and water if I were leaving for a few days. For more than 4 (my personal comfort zone), I'd have someone come check on them every 2 days or so. They're really self suffecient if you have a decent set up.

4. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I would be more concerned about the water, my chickens make a mess even with the container raised. That being said, I am planning a road trip to see my Dad taking the dogs and the cats with but my 10 chickens have to stay home with a sitter. I want my chickens to be seen daily, I'll pay and they can have all the eggs. I'm buying a 7 gallon water container to go along with the two 1 gallon water containers we use now. You can only fill the feeders so full. So I have to use a friend/sitter. I'm sure I'll worry like a Mother hen.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by