Onagadori chickens...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fairyloop5, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    Florida
    I have been thinking about buying onagadori chickens, and I have a few questions...
    1. The eggs are from eBay, will they possibly hatch?
    2. Is the MagicFly incubator good?
    3. Are onagadori chickens a good breed, and can they be shown?
    4. Is the place I will put them big enough?
    image.jpg

Lacy Duckwing likes this.
  2. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Crowing

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    If you want to raise Onagadori to show I don’t think eggs off eBay is the way to start. You will not find good stock that way.

3. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    Florida
    Thanks, if they aren’t show worthy, I will keep them as pets, they are stunning looking!

4. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    Florida
    Is the magicfly incubator good?

5. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    I use either a Buff Orpington or a Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam for an incubator. They are very good incubators.

If you are looking for show, try the Phoenix. They have Onagadori in them. The Phoenix will molt their tails and a lot of hatcheries have them. The Onagadori does not molt there tails and are harder to come by. The Onagadori is a higher maintenance breed and requires a place where nothing will damage their tails. The Phoenix is the same way, but if their tails ever does get damaged, when they molt, their tails will be replaced.
    I suggest you first try out a Phoenix or Yokohama to get experience before you try out an Onagadori.

CatWhisperer likes this.
  6. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Crowing

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    I use a silkie, she’s a great incubator also.

7. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Crowing

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    I have some of those, 19 weeks old now. I got them just for eye candy. I was told you a real Onagadori breeder that their chickens aren’t real Onagadori. If you wanted to breed and show you need to find one of the real breeders in this country and convince them you are worthy. For show and breeding I also recommend starting with Phoenix. I had them for 6 years and they are lovely. I never did breed any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: